Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backtesting an EFS that checks TICK & TRINs

Hello,

I created an EFS to determine trends relying on a few indicators in addition to TICK and TRIN values. The EFS works without any errors in realtime, but when I try to back test it, it simply returns null for both TICK and TRIN.

The following is the function I call to retrieve TICK close for the last bar

var nTick = close( -1, sym("$TICK,15"));
    var nTrin = close( -1, sym("$TRIN,15"));

Would anyone shed somelight on whether backtesting supports the fuction call above? and if so, any idea where the problem may be.

Your help is very much appreciated.
    Sherif

TICK & TRIN

Hi Sherif,
    I am using the Esignal on m y trading.I've been looking for something similar to the EFS that you have formulated.

Your EFS sound very interesting.Is there a way in which you could help me to install it on my system too?

Thanks a lot

Iris [email protected]

Comment

Hi,
      It may be that it is not possible to retrieve historical values for those indicators in backtesting.
      Massimo

Comment

Thanks for your insight Max. Back testing supports TICK and TRIN historical date, I double checked. I am starting to believe it is the function call itself within an EFS that may be causing some issues or is not supported altogether, I should perform some testing to investigate that point.

Comment

Does anybody know anything more about this?

I've tried similar things and see the same results. I started with trying to get $TICK data for back testing and the majority of the historical data is null.

Further testing showed that when backtesting for a given chart, reference to any secondary symbol produced nulls for historical data, not just $TICK.

It doesn't appear as though more than one symbol can be referenced for backtesting, only for real-time data. A solution to this issue would be quite welcome.

Comment

Working...
          X