Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am using eSignal version 12 - where is Formula Wizard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am using eSignal version 12 - where is Formula Wizard?

Hello,
    I'm currently using eSignal v12. I recently went looking for the Formula Wizard which used to be under the Tools menu but it's not there. I've looked around quite a bit and can't find it. Can someone let me know where it is ... thanks.

rlewkov
    The Formula Wizard has never been available in the eSignal 11/12 series
    Alex

Originally posted by rlewkov View Post
    Hello,
    I'm currently using eSignal v12. I recently went looking for the Formula Wizard which used to be under the Tools menu but it's not there. I've looked around quite a bit and can't find it. Can someone let me know where it is ... thanks.

Comment

Is there a replacement for it? I was hoping to not have to write the EFS I had envisioned from scratch.

Comment

rlewkov
        No there is not.
        However, if that is what you want to use (in spite of the fact that it is an outdated tool since it only uses legacy functions and has other limitations) then just install 10.6 and use the one in that version
        Alex

Is there a replacement for it? I was hoping to not have to write the EFS I had envisioned from scratch.

Comment

Hmmm ... can I run both 10.6 and 12.x on the same machine without them interfering with each other? Their DLLs, data files, directories, are separate, etc?
          It's not a huge issue -- part of the reason for wanting to do it is to get the EFS right, or almost right, the first time and reduce my debug time.
          Regards - Robert

Comment

Robert
            Yes you can run them on the same computer (and concurrently for that matter)
            Alex

Hmmm ... can I run both 10.6 and 12.x on the same machine without them interfering with each other? Their DLLs, data files, directories, are separate, etc?
            It's not a huge issue -- part of the reason for wanting to do it is to get the EFS right, or almost right, the first time and reduce my debug time.
            Regards - Robert

Comment

Hi Alex,
              Thanks. I may give that a shot. My reason for doing that is to get confident I know what to do when in an EFS.
              For example, the following code was generated by the Wizard (comments removed) and hilites bars when the 10 day ROC of close is > 10.

When I look at it as compared to other EFSs I've review I ask myself:
              1) Just by declaring "var vROC10 = new ROCStudy(10, "Close");" does that "register" that study with the EFS engine which causes its value to be updated as each bar is processed?
              I'd assume so but wonder as it's not being (visibly) updated in main().
              2) Many other EFSs that I review will often test a variable for null. For example, for the if statement "vROC10.getValue(ROCStudy.ROC) < 0" there's no test to make sure that there have been at least 10 bars processed before testing the value.
              I'm assuming that this is OK and I assume that vROC10.getValue(ROCStudy.ROC) returns null prior to the 10th bar and null is not <0 so the if fails.
              3) In most EFSs when I see .getValue(...) called there is usually/often an integer as the argument to get the nth item. So I wonder what an argument of ROCStudy.ROC means -- probably get latest value.

I just need do get more familiar/confident as to exactly how the EFS engine works. Wanting to use the Wizard was to ensure I did the basics correct. Maybe my time is better served just doing more trial and error EFS coding.

Thanks,
              Robert

Code:
              var vROC10 = new ROCStudy(10, "Close");
              var vLastAlert = -1;

function preMain() {
                  setColorPriceBars(true);
                  setPriceStudy(true);
                  setStudyTitle("");
              }

function main() {
                  if (
                      vROC10.getValue(ROCStudy.ROC) < 0
                  ) onAction1()
                  else if (
                      vROC10.getValue(ROCStudy.ROC) > 0
                  ) onAction2();
                  return null;
              }

function postMain() {
              }

function onAction1() {
                  setPriceBarColor(Color.RGB(255,0,0));
                  vLastAlert = 1;
              }
              function onAction2() {
                  setPriceBarColor(Color.RGB(0,128,0));
                  vLastAlert = 2;
              }

Comment

Robert

My reason for doing that is to get confident I know what to do when in an EFS.
                I doubt that the Formula Wizard would be of much help in this regard

1) Just by declaring "var vROC10 = new ROCStudy(10, "Close");" does that "register" that study with the EFS engine which causes its value to be updated as each bar is processed?
                The EFS engine initializes the object then caches it and updates it once on every historical bar and subsequently on each real time tick.
                FWIW you could accomplish the same even within main() by initializing the study at BARSTATE_ALLBARS or inside an initialization routine that is set to execute once only.
                Anyhow as I understand it the main reason behind the construct used in the Formula Wizard was its simplicity from both the development side and the user's perspective

2) Many other EFSs that I review will often test a variable for null. For example, for the if statement "vROC10.getValue(ROCStudy.ROC) < 0" there's no test to make sure that there have been at least 10 bars processed before testing the value.
                I'm assuming that this is OK and I assume that vROC10.getValue(ROCStudy.ROC) returns null prior to the 10th bar and null is not <0 so the if fails.
                It is if you stay within the [somewhat restricted] confines of what the Formula Wizard was intended to do
                However as I already said the Formula Wizard has limitations

3) In most EFSs when I see .getValue(...) called there is usually/often an integer as the argument to get the nth item. So I wonder what an argument of ROCStudy.ROC means -- probably get latest value.
                With those legacy functions if the bar index is omitted in the getValue(...) call the EFS engine assumes that it is 0 ie that of the bar currently processed.

Maybe my time is better served just doing more trial and error EFS coding.
                Yes it would

FYI similar questions have been asked and answered many times before so you may want to search the forum(s)
                Alex

Hi Alex,
                Thanks. I may give that a shot. My reason for doing that is to get confident I know what to do when in an EFS.
                For example, the following code was generated by the Wizard (comments removed) and hilites bars when the 10 day ROC of close is > 10.

When I look at it as compared to other EFSs I've review I ask myself:

I just need do get more familiar/confident as to exactly how the EFS engine works. Wanting to use the Wizard was to ensure I did the basics correct. Maybe my time is better served just doing more trial and error EFS coding.

Thanks,
                Robert

Code:
                var vROC10 = new ROCStudy(10, "Close");
                var vLastAlert = -1;

function preMain() {
                setColorPriceBars(true);
                setPriceStudy(true);
                setStudyTitle("");
                }

function main() {
                if (