Time Marker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Marker

I use the attached EFS to mark certain times of the day on my charts.

I was wondering if it is possible to add a label to the line and secondly if it is possible to change the EFS in such a way that you can set it for a future date.

Example: say there is an important new release concering Bank Rates on the 6 Sep 06 at 08:30

If this was possible then you would enter the Date, Time and Event and load the EFS and it will appear on your chart on the Date and Time set.

Any Ideas?

Regards
    Attached Files

Kobus,

Has anyone replied? It would also be good to be able to set, say, five different times instead of running five EFSes.

Cheers, Al.

Comment

Al

No replies

Regards

Kobus

Comment

Kobus,

Adding a label to the line wouldn't be difficult. You would use drawTextRelative after your drawLineRelative call.

Drawing a line at a future date will present numerous problems, which is probably why no one has responded.

The main problem is figuring out the bar index for a future date and time. You would have to figure out how many bars are in a day and how many days away the date is, taking weekends and days the market is closed into account, and then figure out the bars needed for the partial day time.

The next problem you'll run into, especially on small time intervals, is that eSignal won't paint a blank bar. So if you're on a one minute chart and no trades occur in that minute, nothing will be displayed and the chart won't be advanced by a bar space. This will throw off your bar count and make your line be off by one minute.

If on the other hand, you just want a table of date times that appear on the chart when that date time is hit in real time, that is just a modification of your existing code.

You would likely have some sort of list or array with the date times and then use a for loop to compare each of the date times. You would also need some sort of flag for each entry to tell you if the line has been drawn already or not.

How you get the line data into the efs would be another issue. The simple, but not very flexible, way would be to hard code it in the efs. Or you could read it in from a text file.

Steve

Comment

Kobus,

I've attached an efs that will display lines and notes for multiple past or future dates as they occur.

You can edit the efs to add your specific dates. I've provided lots of comments so it shouldn't be to hard to figure out.

If you wanted to read the dates from a file you would have to modify the code in the bInit block to read from a file and add them to the array. The rest of the code should stay the same.

The code in the Checked function shows you how you can add text notes to the lines in your existing code.

Steve
          Attached Files

Comment

Steve

Thank you very much, this works very well, great work.

This saves a lot of time checking and remembering when news releases are due. What I do is set the time say 15 min before the news is due and that add the text saying such & such news due in 15 min.

Thanks again

Regards

Kobus

Comment

Kobus,

You're very welcome.

It wouldn't be to hard to convert to read from a file if you want to play around with that.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

As always, a beautiful and amazingly useful piece of work.

I learned the hard way to always be aware of economic/news events and check the Barrons calander everyday.

FWIW, the econonic publicly accessable calender data that alot of traders use via:

http://online.barrons.com/public/page/barrons_econoday.html

and the web site I post esignal strategy reports

http://www.forextv.com/FT/Resource/resource-global-calendar.html

is published by http://www.econoday.com

The data may be available to access to dynamically. It would be awesome to have an EFS accessing this data dynamically and post it to a chart.

I know there have been other posts in the forum where web data has been processed via efs. I think Steve Hare may have written something.

Coding of this sort is way above my pay grade but thought I'd mention it for anyone more adept and ambitous.

Great work Steve, thanks for all your awesome assistance.

Glen
                Last edited by demarcog; 06-19-2007, 01:01 PM.
                Glen Demarco
                [email protected]

Comment

Glen,

That would be cool. Unfortunately I've found parsing web pages and extracting specific information from them isn't trivial.
                  As soon as you have the page figured out the owner changes the format and your code doesn't work anymore

Besides, I'm busy working on the other project

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by smeyer55
                    Glen,

That would be cool. Unfortunately I've found parsing web pages and extracting specific information from them isn't trivial.
                    As soon as you have the page figured out the owner changes the format and your code doesn't work anymore

Besides, I'm busy working on the other project

Steve
                    Steve,

Ditto that....

Thanks for that professional quality routine. You've done enough already sharing that less then trivial and elegant code you provided as it is a functional interface to integrating the web based data source.

Others have traveled the web data route before I thought perhaps someone else would post or modify the code accordingly.

Thanks Again,

Glen
                    Glen Demarco
                    [email protected]

Comment

I know it isn't quite what you are looking for, but I wrote a study that gives you a summary and alerts of news events on an intra-day basis (that parses news events from a website). The summary includes news events for today with the ability to see what is coming up tomorrow.

It's called "Alert on US News Events" and found here:

http://neotoolbox.com

Enjoy!
                      eSignal File Share: http://share.esignal.com/groupcontents.jsp?groupid=1130

Comment

Working...
                      X