Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFS Study Experts - Help Please!

Calling all EFS experts out there!
    Please can someone tell me if it's possible to create a study along the lines outlined below and, if so, can you post (or PM me) the contact details of the person or company who can create it. Here's what I want to do . . .

The Study
    I day trade U.S. equities and have about 100 pre-selected stocks listed in a quote screen, based on their liquidity and volatility. I then click through the list one stock after another, hoping to spot a specific set up. As you can imagine, it's a tedious process and one that's rather 'hit and miss'. I use a variety of timeframes (15 minutes is the main one) and all charts display the following:

Weighted Moving Average (WMA5)
    Length:5 Offset:0 Source: (H+L+C)/3
    Average True Range (ATR14)
    Length:14

I want the study to overlay lines on a stock advanced chart that are similar to Bollinger Bands, although the calculation is different, obviously! The lines would be 'drawn' above and below the WMA5 by a set multiple of ATR14. Just as it's possible to adjust the standard deviation lines on Bollinger Bands, I would hope to be able to adjust the multiple of ATR14. For example, (using a 15 min' chart) AAPL is trading at $174.30. The WMA5 is at $174.65. ATR14 is 0.90. If the new study is set to display a line above and below the WMA5 by a factor of 1.5 x ATR14, then the reading for the top line will be 176.00 (1.5 x 0.90 + 174.65) and the lower line reading will be 173.30 (1.5 x 0.90 - 174.65). Note that it's the WMA5 that's key to the study and not the stock's trading price.

The Alert
    I want an adaptive alert that pops up telling me that the price of a stock - AAPL in the example above, has risen and hit the upper study line at 176.00 (or fallen to the lower one at 173.30). I say 'adaptive' because both ATR14 and the WMA5 are changing continuously; especially the latter which can jump significantly at the start of each new bar/candle. Although having the lines overlaid on the chart would be a really useful visual aid, it's the alert that I'm concerned with most as this should get me looking at the right stocks at the right time and save me from having to cycle endlessly through stocks that are of no interest.

That's it. Please can someone tell me:
    A) whether or not it's possible to create the study and the alert especially as outlined, and . . .
    B) if it is, provide the contact details of the person or company that can build it.
    Thanks for your help.
    P&Fman
    Last edited by P&Fman; 08-23-2008, 09:00 AM.

An Update

Well, lots of views to this thread and the other one I opened along similar lines on this forum - but no replies. I conclude from this that I haven't explained clearly what it is that I want to achieve and my questions remain unanswered because folks don't understand the question. Apologies if this is the case. Anyway, I decided to get in contact with 3 of the 5 companies recommended as 'EFS Development Partners' and the responses I received were interesting and surprising. Two of them said they could build the study as I described with the alert and gave me quotes for undertaking the work. I went with the cheapest of the two and the cost was under $200. The third said that they didn't think it was possible to create such a study with eSignal, but it could be done in TradeStation for a price of - wait for it - $2,000. Ouch!

I only got the study yesterday, so I've not had an opportunity to test it properly in live market conditions, but it looks promising at this stage and I'm very happy with the service I've received. Anyway, if anyone out there is thinking of getting professional help, it sure pays to shop around; the difference between the cheapest and most expensive in my case was over 1,000%.
    P&Fman.

Comment

Working...
    X