EFS Symbol Limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFS Symbol Limit

There are many times when you might want to add up volume, or do other calculations, on a basket of symbols. The symbol limit is a real problem and prevents all of these unique studies.

If, for example, we want to do this for 10 symbols, is it possible to have two functions -- each with 5 symbols -- that return a number to main that could be added or whatever?

Re: EFS Symbol Limit

AssetHound
    When you call another function or efs you are in effect including that function or efs in the scope of your main function so regardless of the fact that those symbols are in a separate function or efs you will incur in the symbol limit if the combined total [symbols and/or intervals] exceeds 7
    You can very easily test this yourself by creating two efs each with its basket of symbols [the combined total of which would exceed the symbol limit] and then call them from a third efs using the efsExternal() function
    One workaround that I can think of [although I do not know how applicable it is to what you are trying to accomplish] could be to have these separate scripts output the result of their calculations to a file or to a global value. Then in a third script you would retrieve these values from the file or the global value.
    Based on past statements by representatives of eSignal it is unlikely that the efs symbol limit will be lifted never the less you may want to submit a suggestion by selecting Customer Support-> Make a Suggestion from the main menu of the eSignal application.
    Alex

Originally posted by AssetHound
    There are many times when you might want to add up volume, or do other calculations, on a basket of symbols. The symbol limit is a real problem and prevents all of these unique studies.

If, for example, we want to do this for 10 symbols, is it possible to have two functions -- each with 5 symbols -- that return a number to main that could be added or whatever?

Comment

Re: Re: EFS Symbol Limit

Alex,

That's a good suggestion. I always forget about writing a file from an efs. I'll give it a try to see how much processing time is needed and do some other tests.

Thanks.

Bob

Originally posted by Alexis C. Montenegro
      AssetHound
      When you call another function or efs you are in effect including that function or efs in the scope of your main function so regardless of the fact that those symbols are in a separate function or efs you will incur in the symbol limit if the combined total [symbols and/or intervals] exceeds 7
      You can very easily test this yourself by creating two efs each with its basket of symbols [the combined total of which would exceed the symbol limit] and then call them from a third efs using the efsExternal() function
      One workaround that I can think of [although I do not know how applicable it is to what you are trying to accomplish] could be to have these separate scripts output the result of their calculations to a file or to a global value. Then in a third script you would retrieve these values from the file or the global value.
      Based on past statements by representatives of eSignal it is unlikely that the efs symbol limit will be lifted never the less you may want to submit a suggestion by selecting Customer Support-> Make a Suggestion from the main menu of the eSignal application.
      Alex

Comment

Re: Re: Re: EFS Symbol Limit

Bob
        You are most welcome
        Alex

Alex,

That's a good suggestion. I always forget about writing a file from an efs. I'll give it a try to see how much processing time is needed and do some other tests.

Thanks.

Bob

Comment

Re: EFS Symbol Limit

Assuming that I have four different EFS programs, can I control the order that they will run or at least which one runs last? I read a post that said the first one loaded runs last. I'm going to try that and see if it works. If not, I'll be back. Thanks.

Originally posted by Alexis C. Montenegro
          Bob
          You are most welcome
          Alex
          Last edited by AssetHound; 09-04-2008, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Bob

I read a post that said the first one loaded runs last.
            That is correct
            Alex

Assuming that I have four different EFS programs, can I control the order that they will run or at least which one runs last? I read a post that said the first one loaded runs last. I'm going to try that and see if it works. If not, I'll be back. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X