Security Key Nor Recognized by GET in Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Key Nor Recognized by GET in Vista

I have been running Advanced GET 7.8.420.0 on my XP machine for a long time with no problem. I just got a new machine with Vista Home Premium on it and have run into a problem. It seems to install OK on Vista although on install it did not recognize the security key, but kept on going. When I plug in the key into an available USB port I get the message "Windows needs to install driver software for your USB Superpro" which never happened on XP. There is no "driver software" that I know of. When I try to start GET I get the message "E020C - security key not found" even though the key is plugged into a know working USB port. Changing USB ports does no good. Neither does turning off User Access Controls. Any suggestions?

Re: Security Key Nor Recognized by GET in Vista

I got around my original problem by finding and downloading a Vista driver for the Superpro key. FYI, you can find it by using Google to find Sentinel_Protection_Installer_7.3.2.zip. So now GET no longer complains about the security key, but it still does not work. Now, it starts to bring up Advanced GET in full screen, I see the "File Page View Help" menus, but Vista pops up a message almost immediately "Advanced GET has stopped working" with no clue as to the cause. The only option is to close the program. If I try running it in Windows XP Compatability Mode, it doesn't even get to the initial window. I'm wondering if some registry values are not being populated correctly. This is the ONLY program I've tried to install on Vista so far that I can not get to work (and I've installed programs older than GET). Any Ideas?

Originally posted by jldavid47
    I have been running Advanced GET 7.8.420.0 on my XP machine for a long time with no problem. I just got a new machine with Vista Home Premium on it and have run into a problem. It seems to install OK on Vista although on install it did not recognize the security key, but kept on going. When I plug in the key into an available USB port I get the message "Windows needs to install driver software for your USB Superpro" which never happened on XP. There is no "driver software" that I know of. When I try to start GET I get the message "E020C - security key not found" even though the key is plugged into a know working USB port. Changing USB ports does no good. Neither does turning off User Access Controls. Any suggestions?

Comment

Hello jldavid47

I am assuming you have a new computer with a CPU with either Hyperthreading or Duel Core technologies.

I believe your problem is related to the old GET Hyperthreading bug. You will need to install build 421 to fix the Hyperthreading issue.

There is a KB article on this subject.

http://kb.esignalcentral.com/article...icle=1630&p=20

Advanced GET EOD ver 7.8 build 420 is crashing on startup

A program bug has been identified in the current version of Advanced GET EOD version 7.8 build 420 that manifest itself on newer computer with CPUs that have HT Technology (Hyper Threading) enabled. This bug causes the GET program to crash when in online mode. We have created a patch for this bug that as of 10-1-05 has been included on the Advanced GET EOD installation CD.

To access the patch, insert the Advanced GET EOD CD, dated 10-1-05 or newer, into your CDROM drive. Exit the Demo Shield installation window if it opens by clicking on the EXIT button. Explore the CD using My Computer or Windows Explorer. Open the "HT" folder. Copy the "GET.exe" file by right clicking on the file and selecting COPY.
      Next, using My Computer or Windows Explorer locate the GET folder located at either C:\GET or C:\Program Files\GET. Click YES when prompted to overwrite the file.

If the crashing issue continues or your do not have access to the patch file from the CDROM, please contact Technical Support for further assistance.
      Gary Welte
      Advanced GET User

Comment

Originally posted by GaryW
        Hello jldavid47

I am assuming you have a new computer with a CPU with either Hyperthreading or Duel Core technologies.

I believe your problem is related to the old GET Hyperthreading bug. You will need to install build 421 to fix the Hyperthreading issue.
        Thank you, Gary! In fact, my new computer is running with an Intel Duo Core E6600 processor. My build 420 is dated 4/23/04. I'll contact Tech Support and see if I can get build 421 and I'll report back here.

Comment

SUCCESS!

I just got on to live chat with Tech Support and Michael T immediately pointed me to the FTP location of the build that fixed the hyperthreading bug. That directory also has the Vista driver for the USB security key.

I have Advanced GET 7.8 running successfully on Vista with a Duo Core processor. Very nice.

Comment

I am glad I could help point you in the right direction.
            Gary Welte
            Advanced GET User

Comment

Working...
            X