Using Fibonacci Retracements and Extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Fibonacci Retracements and Extensions

I took the liberty of grabbing on of Alexis' screenshots and am reposting it for re-use.

In this particular example. I see you are using Fibonnaci Extensions. The first extensions were drawn from the 5->1, the next portion was from the 1->2.

So a bunch of Fib questions...

My guess is you then focus on the 1.00 and 1.618 retracements. Are there other numbers worth using?

Instead of 5->1->2 what other waves might you draw the fib numbers from?

Could you show some examples where you would use Fibonnacci Retracements instead of extensions?

Matt Gundersen

The first extensions were drawn from the 5->1, the next portion was from the 1->2

In this case remember that we were talking about a Type 2 trade. What we do not know is if this downwards pattern will be just an ABC or something else that will develop further.
    Therefore in selling at the Ellipse on wave 2 the first thing I would do is measure the wave from 5->1 and then extend that measurement starting from end of wave 2.
    The conservative approach is to initially use 1.00 as that is the first target (C=A) in an ABC swing. Past that the next step will be the 1.618 which is the first of the traditional Fib extensions for a wave 3. For now the market seems to have acknowledged the first value.

As to Fib retracements there are really only two situations in which I use them from an Elliott point of view.
    They are in a wave 4 and in a B of an ABC.
    One example is visible in the 60 minute chart of AMZN in another message in this thread. Notice in fact that I make a comment on the chart as to how that wave 4 developed.
    In the case of a wave 4 I usually seek a 0.382 to 0.500 retracement.
    In the case of a B wave I look for a 0.500 to 0.750 (some purists will argue that it should be 0.786) of wave A.

I also use the Ret tool in conjunction with the Ellipse to evaluate the risk, but that is the subject of another thread of yours.

Alex
    Last edited by ACM; 01-16-2003, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X