eSignal daily candles for forex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eSignal daily candles for forex

I've tried changing time templates and I can't seem to figure out how to get the daily candles to close at a normal time like 5PM EST or 8AM London. Is there a way to do this (besides tricking eSignal by changing the time zone in application properties, which then makes the time scale on all charts useless)? I searched on here and found a thread in the archives in 2007 that said this was a known issue and was being addressed in the next version. However, I couldn't find the actual method anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

After looking into this some more, it looks like the candles are not closing at midnight local time. It looks like they are closing right at the Asian open, which does make sense.

It looks like what I was noticing was actually that the cursor crosshairs don't line up properly for daily candles-- even though the daily candle is closing at 19:00 local time, any intraday time frame candle that I "mouse over" between 19:00 and 24:00 local time will put the crosshair over the wrong (previous day's) daily candle. So, for example, when I put the crosshairs over the 20:00 local time candle 1 hour candle, on the daily chart it will put the crosshairs over the candle that just closed. I know this is probably "clear as mud" in writing but if you pull up a daily and 1 hour chart it's very easy to spot.

The daily candles closing at 8am singapore works for me, but I would still be interested in knowing how to change it if possible. It would be useful for me to peak at the chart from the perspective of 8am london or 5pm NY.

Thanks!

Comment

Here is the quote regarding forex daily charts from our KB:

When comparing interval and daily FOREX data, sometimes there can be differences between the highs and lows. The cause of this is due to FOREX being traded 24 hours a day, time differences around the world, and the cut off point of where one day ends and the next begins.

If we take residents in the UK as an example – you may (wrongly) assume that the data used to form a daily bar is taken from 00:00-23:59 GMT. However, the daily data in fact consists of the data from 22:00 – 21.59 GMT. Why? Because we take the end of the trading day of FOREX to be at 22:00 GMT (14:00 PST or 15:00 PDT).

With the above taken into consideration, if a new High were to occur at 22:15 GMT it would appear on the daily chart in the next day’s bar. Looking at an interval chart, the High would still appear at 22:15 of the current day.

Real-time updates on Forex symbols will show from approximately 17:00 GMT each Sunday (opening times will vary based upon activity) until approximately 22:00 GMT each Friday. However, for the purpose of creating daily bars all data from Sunday is incorporated into Mondays daily bar.

As for intraday, you should be able to create a time template to determine when it closes. A link to the full article is here
      http://kb.esignal.com/article.aspx?article=1422&p=1
      Thank you,
      Eric O.
      eSignal Support

Comment

Thanks Eric, that clears it up. So the daily candle is set to close at 8am Singapore / 22 GMT. That does make a lot of sense and is a good choice for a "global" close time.

My understanding now is that intraday open/close can be set via time templates but the daily candle has a "fixed" open/close of 22 GMT. I'll submit a feature request for some sort of setting for the daily open/close.

Comment

Working...
        X