Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Format of Date field Exported to Excel via Data Export

Hello,

Current Version: eSignal V10.4 (Problem has existed since V8.x)
    Windows Regional Settings - English Australian
    Date Format: DD/MM/YY

When I perform a data export (Alt+E) and paste into Excel, the date column is not represented correctly in Excel.

Data is populated in MM/DD/YYYY format with Cell format = "DD/MM/YYYY" except when DD > 12 when it is formatted as MM/DD/YY (Cell format = General). This makes date calculations very tricky.

If I change the regional settings within Windows to English US prior to exporting, then the date format will be consistent so after exporting data changing the Windows date format back via the regional settings to English Australian, the dates are still valid.

Is it possible to have eSignal export the data in the format based on the user settings?

Thank you
    Mark

Re: Format of Date field Exported to Excel via Data Export

Originally posted by markdman
    Hello,

Current Version: eSignal V10.4 (Problem has existed since V8.x)
    Windows Regional Settings - English Australian
    Date Format: DD/MM/YY

When I perform a data export (Alt+E) and paste into Excel, the date column is not represented correctly in Excel.

Data is populated in MM/DD/YYYY format with Cell format = "DD/MM/YYYY" except when DD > 12 when it is formatted as MM/DD/YY (Cell format = General). This makes date calculations very tricky.

If I change the regional settings within Windows to English US prior to exporting, then the date format will be consistent so after exporting data changing the Windows date format back via the regional settings to English Australian, the dates are still valid.

Is it possible to have eSignal export the data in the format based on the user settings?

Thank you
    Mark
    Bump please.

Will definitely like to know if there is a way to set eSignal's native date convention to DD/MM/YY as it will make my spreadsheet work much easier.

Currently copying and pasting data export into Excel results in the date column being recognized as general text for days > 12 as there are only 12 months in a year.

Thank you

Comment

I just tested exporting data into Excel and the date column seems to format correctly. I'm using Excel 2007 and the data export function from an Advanced Chart. Can you post your excel file so I can see what's happening more directly?

Thanks.

Comment

From your location being California, I would presume that you are using US locales. There will be no issue with US dates on a US locale machine.

As markdman has said, we are using UK or Australia as our locales. Our dates are for example 28 / 01 / 2010 as opposed to the American 01 / 28 / 2010.

Our machines are set to recognize UK or Australian date format, hence when eSignal's export function returns dates being 01 / 27 / 2010, EXCEL uses the UK / Australia date format hence trying to parse the date as First day of the 27 Month, 2010. But there is no 27 Month in the year, hence it automatically assigns it as General Text.

The same happens regardless of whether you use the Export to CSV or if you copy and paste it manually.

Your attach file does not accept CSV or XLS documents. Also it would probably not make a difference anyway as your machine would be using a US locale and hence would reparse the data correctly.

In short: Can eSignal return dates 27 January 2010 as 27 / 01 / 2010?

Comment

Got it. We'll take a closer look, including having our Aussie office do some QA.

Thank you!

Comment

Bump on this I am also experiencing exactly the same problem.

Comment

Working...
            X