Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Both computers froze up at 9:23 AM - anybody else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both computers froze up at 9:23 AM - anybody else?

This AM, a few minutes before the market opened, both of my trading computers completely froze up and I had to power them down (turnning them off, could not shutdown). I am trying to figure this out. It could have been malware or maybe something associated with the eSignal data feed.

I run totally different applications of these two computers. Only one uses the eSignal feed and it run eSignal, TWS plug in and Mkt Delta. Nothing else.

The other just runs my twitter, blogs, email, news etc. I also run Thinkorswim demo on it sometimes.

I ran virus scan (nothing found) on the eSignal machine and then restarted. So far it is still running but of course, I missed the 1st. hour of the market.

About 11:00 the 2nd computer did the same thing again. I turned it off quick and now am running virus scan on it.

Both are Windows 7, 64 bit machines with all updates and latest Java. I run them with UAC on and with standard user rights. All four trading applications run as administrator. This of course, causes an entry that may allow hackers in.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by jgr; 09-02-2010, 08:38 AM.

No problems this morning running QCharts (uses the eSignal data feed) and ThinkDesktop on a Win 7 64 bit PC. I had both of them running from about 7:45 AM EDT onward. No slowness, no data glitches, no problems. All my charts were set on the S&P eminis.

Comment

jgr,

One additional thought. If you suspect a virus, I recommend you join www.bleepingcomputer.com and go to the forums that discuss security and viruses. These guys are really great. They helped me recover from a rootkit virus I had on a Win XP machine. It does take some time, but it is well worth the effort, if you do not consider yourself a technical PC expert.

Also, there is not as much anti-virus software out there for 64 bit Windows yet, so it may take some more effort than if you were running on 32 bit.

-Dan

Comment

A follow up. Had this happen later, about 2:00 PM on a third computer, Thinkpad running W7, 64 also, and the only thing I had open on it was the TOS demo. This TOS demo had an automatic update installed today. Thinking now that the update to TOS was the culprit. I really don't need it but since the demo is free and I can see many small charts on it, I use it as a real time overview to keep tabs on a number of stocks (not that it helps my trading).

Also on the AV. I use ESET NOD 32 from Germany which is fully 64 bit compatible and is highly rated. So, it does not miss much.

Comment

Historically, ESET has had problems with the DM.
          http://kb.esignalcentral.com/article...ticle=1415&p=1
          See the table in 2b.

But I don't know the current state of this. Perhaps is you configure it like the "must configure" link describes - you may avoid problems. This may be ESET version dependent. Plus, not sure if this applies to 64bit or not.

Perhaps one of the tech guys can weigh in.

Comment

That ESET NOD 32 problem with the DM is old. I looked into this a while back and the version was much earlier than what I have now. That issue must have been fixed as I have been using eSignal with ESET NOD 32 for 18 months without any issue from it.

Thanks for looking into it for me.

Comment

Working...
            X