Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re format of futures symbols

Hello,
    I have a question about the formatting of futures symbols.
    See the attached png for a pic of one of my Watchlists. You'll see 3 symbols: ZS N6, ZS N16, ZS N2016.
    These are all futures symbols for July 2016 Soybeans. Notice:
    ZS N6 - good symbol, has data, no problems
    ZS N16 - invalid symbol. Probably shouldn't use 2 digit year until 2018 contracts
    ZS N2016 - The red square has a message saying "No Data".
    What does this message mean as if I go to the daily chart for ZS N2016 there is data through today 3/28/2016?
    If I look at the daily chart for ZS N6 I see there is data for today (3/28) and 3/29 - just a small amount for the new trading day 3/29.
    This clip of my Watchlist was taken today 3/28 at about 9p CT.

As a default, when composing futures symbols can I always use a 4 digit year? Is there any reason I shouldn't?

Thanks
    Attached Files

Hi rlewkov,

Yes, 2 digit year codes are for 2018 and above contracts.

You would use 4 digit year codes for expired contracts, like ZS M2015 (works with charts only).

Eric
    eSignal Support
    Last edited by eSignal_EricL; 03-29-2016, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eSignal_EricL View Post
      Hi rlewkov,

Yes, 2 digit year codes are for 2018 and above contracts.

You would use 4 digit year codes for expired contracts, like ZS M2015 (works with charts only).

Eric
      eSignal Support
      Hi Eric,
      Here's the situation I want to deal with:
      I have a Watchlist with hundreds of futures spread symbols. For example CL H6:CLJ6 (March,April 2016 crude oil spread). There are 66 ((12*11)/2) combinations of every calendar month per year for CL as it trades every month. Add another 61 if I want to spread 2016 against 2017 etc. Add butterflys and condors spreads and there could be hundreds of symbols in my watch list just for CL (if I'm intersted in every combination which I'm probably not).

As time passes these contract expire. For example CL H6:CLJ6 has already expired, at least CL H6 has, but I may still want to view the chart by clicking the Watchlist entry in which case I need to update the symbol in the Watchlist to CL H2016:CLJ2016 which is a pain - especially to do many,many times.

So, my thought was that I'd always use the 4 digit year code so that I don't have the maintenance issue. If I enter a 4 digit year code for current non-expired contracts, for example ES M2016, the chart displays but a Watchlist with the symbol says "No Data" ... but there is data as I see it.

My chat with eSignal support says that 4 digit year codes working for a non-expired contract is a glitch.

So, the issue is having to maintain a large Watchlist if I want to keep viewing expired contracts via clicking them in a Watchlist. It's not the end of the world if I have to make updates so I may just use 4 digit year codes everywhere and see if anything bad happens.

Thanks

Comment

I have a feeling they have two data sources - current and historical. When you use a four digit year it signifies to the client (esignal) to use a different request and/or the server side handles it behind the scenes.

Comment

Hi,

We use 4 digits for expired contract to differentiate between ES H2016, ES H2006, or ES H1996, for example.

Theoretically, we could have used 2 digits just as well, but..

Sincerely,

Eric
          Tech Support

Comment

Working...
          X