share bars / candle periods w equal volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• share bars / candle periods w equal volume

I´m interested in charting share bars. That means one candle period is completed when a defined number of shares has been traded (regardless of the time that takes).

In stead of each candle period being defined by a time period (such as 15 minutes f.e.), I wish every candle period to contain an equal volume of traded shares.

I would like to apply this to the Nasdaq (Russel, S&P) cash index and to the e-minis (of those indices).

I called the technical support and was told, this question is only supported on the forums. I would be glad if someone could help. Regards

oliverhansen
    You can create a volume bar chart by using as the interval the number of shares/contracts followed by a v. For example for bars based on 500 contracts you would type 500v
    For more information on how to create volume bars see this article in the eSignal KnowledgeBase
    Alex

Comment

share bars on cash index

thanks for the reply!
      I´m having my $NDX chart. I added a 2000v via the "," -> change symbol -> interval.
      The chart header now reads :
      ($NDX - NASDAQ 100 ,2000V) Dynamic,0:00-24:00 .
      Yet the chart remains blank.
      So far I haven´t subscribed the CME datafeed (trial subscription) and can´t try on the e-mini. Does this work for the cash index anyway?

Comment

oliverhansen
        With most cash indices the intraday volume is tick volume (ie the number of updates per interval). By default tick based charts will load a single day of data so unless you have set the Time Template to load more than 1 day of volume bars 2000v may be too high an interval (or there is no data for the current day yet).
        Try either reducing the interval (for example to 200v) or specifying in the Time Template the number of days to load for a V interval (maximum is 10 days). For information on Time Templates and how to set them up see this article in the eSignal KnowledgeBase.
        Alex

Comment

volume candles

Alex,
          now there are interesting candles on my screen! As I need something like grossly a 1.5 minute bar, I dropped the Volume down to 7V per bar. So obviously there is a factor involved in the 7?
          To be shure about this success I wanted to indicate the volume columns below the price chart. Now all volume sticks (below each price bar) would have to be of equal size.

But the volume indicator shows just a blank frame.

BTW: Is the "Volume"-Indicator measuring Dollar amounts or number of shares?

Thanks for support
          Oliver

Comment

Oliver
            So obviously there is a factor involved in the 7?
            The $NDX symbol is updated every 15 seconds so 7v should cover just over a 1.5 minute period. For information on the frequency of updates for some of the indices and markets statistics you may want to see this article in the eSignal KnowledgeBase.
            But the volume indicator shows just a blank frame.
            I am not sure why the Volume study is not displaying at your end as it appears to be working fine on my chart (see image enclosed below). As you correctly stated all the bars are equal. You may want to provide some details as to the steps you are taking to plot the Volume.
            BTW: Is the "Volume"-Indicator measuring Dollar amounts or number of shares?
            With most indices the intraday volume represents the tick volume ie the number of updates in a given period. If you plot a 1 minute chart of $NDX for example you should see the volume display a value of 4 as there are in general 4 updates per minute (one every 15 seconds).
            For some more detailed information on indices in eSignal you may want to review this article in the eSignal KnowledgeBase
            Alex

Comment

Working...
            X