No announcement yet.

Problem with eSignal's ATR Calculation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with eSignal's ATR Calculation!

I was wondering why the built-in ATR that comes with eSignal gives a different result than if the ATR were calculated by the traditional method; Which is defined as follows:

True Range is the greatest of the following three values:

· difference between the current maximum and minimum (high and low);

· difference between the previous closing price and the current maximum;

· difference between the previous closing price and the current minimum.

When I import raw data from eSignal into Excel and calculate the ATR based on the above criteria, I get a different result than the ATR eSignal provides.

Is their different ways of calculating ATR or is their a problem with eSignal's ATR calculation?

I am using eSignal 8.0, Build 779.

Re: Problem with eSignal's ATR Calculation!

steven723
    That only defines the True Range [which you can compute by setting the length of the Average True Range study to 1] and not the Average True Range which is the average [calculated using Wilder's smoothing] of the True Range
    Just to confirm in the following screenshot you can see eSignal's Average True Range of 1 period compared to an efs that calculates the True Range as per its definition. As you can see the values are identical
    Alex

Originally posted by steven723
    I was wondering why the built-in ATR that comes with eSignal gives a different result than if the ATR were calculated by the traditional method; Which is defined as follows:

True Range is the greatest of the following three values:

· difference between the current maximum and minimum (high and low);

· difference between the previous closing price and the current maximum;

· difference between the previous closing price and the current minimum.

When I import raw data from eSignal into Excel and calculate the ATR based on the above criteria, I get a different result than the ATR eSignal provides.

Is their different ways of calculating ATR or is their a problem with eSignal's ATR calculation?

I am using eSignal 8.0, Build 779.

Comment

Hi Alex,

I now understand how to calculate the true range but what I do not understand is how to calculate the Average True Range.

Is their any way you can post what the exact calculation is for the ATR so I can duplicate it in Excel to understand it more.

Thanks, Steven

Comment

Steven
        You can find the complete logic in the RSIEnhanced.efs which is in the Library folder of Formulas
        Alex

Hi Alex,

I now understand how to calculate the true range but what I do not understand is how to calculate the Average True Range.

Is their any way you can post what the exact calculation is for the ATR so I can duplicate it in Excel to understand it more.

Thanks, Steven

Comment

Hi Alex,

I looked at the code in the file "RSIEnhanced.efs" and it contains nothing in regards to ATR. Can you please help.

Thanks, Steven

Comment

Steven
            Sorry I meant to write ATR.efs not RSIEnhanced.efs (although actually also the RSI study uses Wilder's smoothing).
            Alex

Hi Alex,

I looked at the code in the file "RSIEnhanced.efs" and it contains nothing in regards to ATR. Can you please help.

Thanks, Steven

Comment

Working...
            X