eSignal and Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eSignal and Linux?

Is it possible to run eSignal with Linux (Application “Wine”)?

Thanks
    nasibu

Excerpt from another forum:

crossover and esignal/ensign
    I recently took some time to try and get some Windows trading apps running under Linux. I'm running Mandrake 9.2 and Gnome 2.0 on a 2.2 GHz machine with 768 MB RAM.

First, I installed the Crossover Office tool, and installed IE6. Then, I installed Esignal...which works very well on its own. Lastly, I installed Ensign, which depends upon the Esignal Data Manager. Ensign works 90%...the only flaw I have found so far is that you cannot minimize charts within your Ensign workspace.

Crossover Office is at:

http://www.codeweavers.com/site/products/cxoffice/
    I ran across this post last week and it was the first time I had seen a user state that they had been able to run eSignal under Linux. This set-up wouldn't be something we'd be able to support but you are free to test it out.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

running windows apps under wine is pretty hit or miss. Its just something you have to try. I don't know any vendors that support their apps under wine, so as ScottJ says even if it seems to work, you are on your own when it comes to issues that arise.

Garth
      Garth

Comment

Thanks for the response.

I will try it after a hardware update.
        With IB TWS, the tool “AutoTrader” (both Java) and a running eSignal it should be possible to trade under Linux.

nasibu

Comment

ScottJ,

Have you ever thought about creating a Linux-native version of eSignal? Or one for OSX?

Comment

Regarding:
            Originally posted by es5es5
            Have you ever thought about creating a Linux-native version of eSignal? Or one for OSX?
            I have not seen any plans for supporting eSignal under other operating systems, including the Mac. From what I can gather, the demand is fairly low compared to the resource investment we'd need to make to produce it. If these Operating Systems gain in popularity, perhaps you'll then see us make plans to do so.

Thanks.

Comment

Platforms are becoming irrelevant. Port to Java and run everywhere.

G
              Garth

Comment

I agree that a port or outright conversion to Java would be preferable. Besides the obvious portability issues it would let eSignal's customers choose the hardware and OS that is best for them. eSignal could really score a coup in this area since all the charting apps I know of only run on Windows.

Comment

screenshot

Attached is a screenshot of Esignal running under Mandrake on one of my machines.
                  Attached Files

Comment

corvus,

How is Wine? Does is crash much with eSignal? Do you experience any lag? How is your CPU usage?

Can you give some hardware details?

What version of Mandrake are you using? Have you tried it on SuSE, Fedora, or Debian? Anyone else?

Comment

Hi es5es5, I haven't had any crashes yet with eSignal or Ensign under Linux. Also, I don't see any unusual CPU usage is low...but the response to mouse events isn't maybe as fast as it would be under Windows.

I've tried this now on two boxes...the first is a 2.2 GHz P4 with 768MB RAM. The second is a 700MHz Athlon with 320 MB RAM. Both machines are Mandrake 9.2 with Gnome.

I still have alot more testing to do under load and in different conditions before I can say it is a match made in heaven.

Originally posted by es5es5
                      corvus,

How is Wine? Does is crash much with eSignal? Do you experience any lag? How is your CPU usage?

Can you give some hardware details?

What version of Mandrake are you using? Have you tried it on SuSE, Fedora, or Debian? Anyone else?

Comment

I would be very interested in seeing a Linux version of Esignal.

Originally posted by ScottJ
                        Regarding:

I have not seen any plans for supporting eSignal under other operating systems, including the Mac. From what I can gather, the demand is fairly low compared to the resource investment we'd need to make to produce it. If these Operating Systems gain in popularity, perhaps you'll then see us make plans to do so.

Thanks.

Comment

76 breaks Linux!

The most recent version of Esignal, 7.6, will not install using CrossoverOffice. It hangs after opening a cmd window attempting to execute IKernel.exe. I'd love to have more info, as I will have to revert back to 7.5...

Comment

Scratch that last post...I was installing on another machine and I didn't install IE first.

Comment

Two points:

1) If eSignal is thinking about porting, consider the cross-platform (C++) toolkit from Trolltech. Mac users would appreciate this option too.

2)eSignal runs great under VMWare ($299).

Comment

Working...
                              X