Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone use VNC on Windows 7 with QCharts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone use VNC on Windows 7 with QCharts?

For about a year and a half I've used UltraVNC tunneled over a secure SSH connection to remotely access my home server running Win2K and QCharts. This has worked great for me and allowed me to have 1 workspace instead of a home workspace and a laptop workspace.

Anyway, I "upgraded" my home server this weekend to Win7x64SP1, got my ssh tunnel setup with the latest UltraVNC.... and everything works great except QCharts. For some reason it refuses to draw the QCharts window in in VNC. If I physically go to the server, you can see QCharts, but it's just not displayed in the VNC display. Bizarro.

QCharts *does* however show up in remote desktop, but I'm weary about opening up the RDP port on my firewall AND maybe I'm just an RDP newbie, but I just can't seem to get the multi monitor server display to map properly to the laptop.

So, if anyone has any ideas on:
    1. how/why QCharts isn't showing up in VNC OR
    2. if you're tunneled RDP over SSH and can give RDP magic parameters to be able to see the full dual monitor desktop

I'd greatly appreciate your advice/input.

Thanks,
    lugz

OK, I got RDP tunneled over SSH working, but it seems a slower than VNC. Everything looks good and working with RDP (including QCharts) except Firefox 4, which doesn't display at all. Good grief, it's always something!

lugz

Comment

I've been using Windows 7 64-bit, Ultra VNC and Qcharts since Windows 7 came out. I've used with with and without a SSH tunnel for both VNC and RDP.

Some things to check on your Ultra VNC configuration

I'm using UltraVNC 1.0.8.0 -- I had some troubles with 1.0.8.2 and haven't been able to iron them out

1. Do you have the mirror drivers installed and enabled?
      2. See attached screenshots for Admin Properties and Properties settings.
      Eric Boehm

Comment

Looks like the screenshot didn't get attached

The important items
        1. Properties -- I have Poll Full Screen (Ultra Fast), Poll Foreground Window, Poll Window Under Cursos, System HookDll and Video Hook Driver checked. All others are unchecked.

2. Admin Properties-- Under Misc, check the following
        a. Remove Aero
        b. Remove Wallpaper for Viewers
        c. Enable Blank Monitor on Viewer Request
        d. Enable Alpha-Blending Monitor Blanking
        e. Capture Alpha-Blending

I think the Alpha-Blending settings may be the ones most relevant to your problem.

Originally posted by emboehm
        I've been using Windows 7 64-bit, Ultra VNC and Qcharts since Windows 7 came out. I've used with with and without a SSH tunnel for both VNC and RDP.

Some things to check on your Ultra VNC configuration

I'm using UltraVNC 1.0.8.0 -- I had some troubles with 1.0.8.2 and haven't been able to iron them out

1. Do you have the mirror drivers installed and enabled?
        2. See attached screenshots for Admin Properties and Properties settings.
        Eric Boehm

Comment

Hey, thanks for the help. I spent about an hour trying various options (including the ones that work for you) but never could get QCharts to appear with uVNC. I was running 1.0.9.6, so maybe the earlier version you're using would work, but it could also be my video card, etc. RDP seems to be working fairly well, so I'm going to stick with that for now.

lugz

Comment

Hi,

I have been using RealVNC (personal edition - www.realvnc.com) with Win7 64Bit. A viewer is available for all platforms as well as iPhone and it works great. No issues, works even with Edge (though a bit slow with my screen resolution of 3840x1080).

It does cost a bit but it is definitely worth it - you need professional tools to trade great!

Let me know if you need further info.
            Regards-
            Christian
            http://www.stock-research-tools.com
            Advanced tools for traders and active investors - with QCharts Plugin!

Comment

You might want to try TeamViewer

Hi Lugz.

I'm a RealVNC fan myself. The free version has worked well for me on pre-Vista systems. I don't understand why they don't make a free version for Vista and Windows 7 - after all, the VNC protocol is open-source if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, now I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use. And it has great multi-monitor support and VPN functionality (which I haven't tried).

You might want to try it out (http://www.teamviewer.com).

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X