eSignal on crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eSignal on crashing

I've been conversing with eSignal tech support about the crashing problem. This is their final conclusion:

My manager told me that they were able to check your crash reports and have found a problem with the software. Unfortunately, it will take a lot of man-hours to fix the problem and they cannot spare that manpower now, so it will not be fixed. Unfortunately, if a problem is only affecting one customer, the priority is lowered. I'm sorry that I do not have a solution to your crashing issue.

There IS a problem with the 2142 code, but they didn't find it and don't know it.

However, I know where the problem lies, AND I know a workaround, or rather, know how to deal with it. The solution explains why most don't experience this crashing problem.

ahhaha -

Ok, I'm really curious what your work around is. I reported another crash today . . . . and while I know that you and I are NOT the only ones experiencing the crashing, we seem to be the only ones reporting it.

Does your work around include anything I can do locally?

Thanks,
    Carol

Comment

Re: eSignal on crashing

Originally posted by ahhaha
      However, I know where the problem lies, AND I know a workaround, or rather, know how to deal with it. The solution explains why most don't experience this crashing problem. [/B]
      Inquiring minds would like to know

Jim

Comment

Re: crashing

In the past the workaround to reduce the probability of a crash that was caused by an overload of the screen buffer was to dump the buffer with window "minimize".

If one doesn't clean the screen buffer, the buffer will grow as though it were a memory leak.

However, one should allow the program's grab on memory to grow instead of attempting to clean the screen buffer. If the program size grows until it crashes, you have to restart. By not cleaning the screen buffer the crashing rate has dropped by a factor of 20. Instead of crashing every day 10 or 20 times, I have it down to crashing once per week or once per two weeks.

Comment

Further methods to reduce crashing

It's an old issue going back 5 years which has to do with the symbol list in the Expression toolbar. When this list gets too long you have to reduce its length by deleting entries. Once this list gets up to 200+ it provokes spontaneous crashing. This adjustment helps but it won't eliminate all crashing.

Comment

Working...
          X