OddBall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OddBall

Here is the OddBall strategy - as originally created by Mark Brown - ported to efs.

"OddBall-Signals.efs", here attached, can operate as a standalone but if one wants to see also the other two indicators that are visible in the images below you will need to run "OddBall-RoC.efs" and "OddBall-$ADV.efs" which are posted in subsequent messages.
    To run this efs correctly you need to create a 60 min chart of ES, SP or SPY with a Time Template set to 09:00-16:00 EST (or equivalent if you are on a different time zone).
    The symbol normally used for OddBall is the $SPX, but because in eSignal we can limit SP, ES and SPY trading hours, through the use of the Time Template, you can use these symbols.
    The last signal of a day on the original system is at 16:00 EST anyhow so it does not matter if the last 15 minutes of ES, SP or SPY are not plotted.
    OddBall is a SAR system and is always in the market either Long or Short. It computes the trading signal at the close of every 60 minute period using natural hours set by the Time Template's start time. The signals are generated by a 7 period Rate of Change of the NYSE Advancing Issues. If the RoC is above 3 the system goes long if below 3 it goes short.

The basic efs does the following:
    - computes the RoC of $ADV (but does not plot it)
    - paints the bars in which the system is Long in blue and those in which it is short in red.
    - if Long paints the chart background in cyan, if short paints it in yellow.
    - writes the price of the last entry (in white text over blue background if Long or in white over red background if Short) at the bottom of the chart centered to the bar that generated the signal.
    - issues a Buy/Sell order at the Close of the bar that generates the signal. NOTE: Although this may appear artificial, because if a signal is generated on the close of last bar of the day it would not be possible to execute it, one needs to consider that there are actually 15 more minutes of trading time past the last signal of a day.

Here below is an image of the system when Long

And here one of the system when Short.

Some additional notes and comments are available in the efs itself. These include how to enable the email, sound and visual alerts.

No comments are here made or implied with regards to the merits (if any) of the system. From my point of view this was simply an exercise in writing some code.

Alex
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ACM; 04-03-2003, 07:57 AM.

Here attached is the OddBall-$ADV.efs.
    This is to be used in the same chart that is running OddBall-Signals.efs. It plots the hourly closing value of the NYSE Advancing Issues. It also marks with a magenta triangle the 7 period lookback bar which is used in the RoC and also prints its value.
    Alex
    Attached Files

Comment

Last part of the trilogy is the plot of the RoC itself.
      This one is exactly the same code that is in OddBall-Signals except that it plots the RoC as an indicator.
      The base of the histogram is set at 3 which is the trigger level for the Buy/Sell Signals.
      Alex
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ACM; 03-21-2003, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Trouble with Oddball

I have plugged in your .efs from the oddball site. I have adjusted my time template to a 60 min with start and stop time.

I get an error in line 25 parameter # 3 of function drawshaperelative is invalid.

Ideas?

Comment

Dean

Can you copy line 25 to this forum, or remind me where the file resides?

Seems like a simple format issue.

Comment

Oops New problem

I now have tried to load oddball-sig.efs.

I have another error.

Line 65 reference error: setchartBG not defined.

Ideas?

Comment

Compradun
              Yes, the shape that is being called is only available in beta build 566 or later.
              In Line 25 substitute Shape.DOWNTRIANGLE with Shape.DOWNARROW
              Better yet you may want to update to build 566
              Alex

Comment

Line 65 error

setChartBG(Color.yellow);

Line 65

Comment

Compradun
                  Similar issue. I am using a feature only available in beta build 566 or later.
                  Just rem out Lines 55 and 65 by typing // at the beginning of the line.
                  Everything else should work except that you will not see changes in background color.
                  Alex

Comment

That fixed it thanks

eom!

Comment

development

Alexis-
                      I greatly appreciate your efforts to put an "oddball" system together.

You stated that this was merely a code writing exercise.

Have you spent any time since developing an opinion about this system?

Do you work for esig?

Comment

Compradun

Have you spent any time since developing an opinion about this system?

I actually have followed (but not traded) the system for a while and specifically a variant of it that I am trying to port to efs. The variant is a bit more trader-friendly in terms of drawdowns which in the original can be considerable.

Do you work for esig?

No, just a user.

Alex
                        Last edited by ACM; 04-03-2003, 10:24 AM.

Comment

ODDBALL

Hi Alex

Sorry keep you busy on the two sides of the ocean....

can you suggest me some papers or books or others literature in order to better understand OddBall? For a matter of simplicity is there anything available on the net ( site ?)?

Does it works on DAX and Bund or commodities?

Tks
                          Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

Fabrizio
                            The site is www.oddballsystems.com.
                            On the site you should find a link to an article written by Mark Brown himself that explains how OddBall works and why.
                            There are also some variations on the base system one of which I am trying to port to efs.
                            I understand that there have been attempts to use OddBall's basic concept also on other markets but I would not know with what results.
                            Alex

Comment

ODDBALL

Interesting Alex. I trade with the full package of Tom Demark Indicators and Studies: I use basically-other than sequential and Combo, Point reversal and TD Trend - three oscillator: TD ALIGNEMENT, TD ROC and TD ROC2 , which anticipate trend movement on different moments: general sentiment, 15 bars, 6 bars..... I believe they use the same logic of ODDBALL.

I'll get more in depth with ODDBALL, and see if can be shifted on Dax

Thanks
                              Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

Working...
                              X