Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symbol Translation 5.1 to 6.0

Originally posted by iii222
    I have 150 symbol files estimate between 10,000 to 20,000 symbols (and long comments, mostly in Toronto and Venture stock exchanges) in version 5 that is not recognized by version 6. How can I convert without retyping everything that I built up in the last 8 years?

Originally posted by JayF
    QCharts isn't recognizing your comments because the symbols are different between 5.1 and 6.0. We do have some basic symbol mapping applied to Quote Sheets and other symbol entry areas, however this mapping logic has not been written into the line area yet. We hope to have this in 6.1.
    In the meantime, there is something one can do to retain comments. It's somewhat labor intensive, but most likely a whole lot lot less time consuming than a retype from scratch.

The essential thing to know is that if you Export your quotesheet using the R-click "Export Symbols plus Totals and Comments" option, the resulting sym file will be in the format "=EXCH:SYM,blah blah comments". And if Importing a .SYM file into a quotesheet, and there is a comma immediately after the EXCH:SYM in the file, the blah blah after the comma will go into the Comment field of the quotesheet. Note: You can also Import a Filename.TXT file.

So, let's assume that one has files somewhere (.SYM or .TXT) in the format "=EXCH:SYM,blah blah blah". What to do with that file? Edit it with a text editor program, like Notepad, or Excel, or any program where it can be filed back as ASCII "text".

Let's say you have a .SYM or .TXT file named "Watchlist-1.sym" in your Symbol Folder (or whatever folder located wherever) that contains....

=TSE:RVE,stuff regarding RVE
    =TSE:FCP,other stuff about FCP
    =TSE:WTN,blah blah blah

As just one example here, just one way to edit the file...
    Using Notepad, one could globally Replace "=TSE:" with null, nothing.
    This would give....

RVE,stuff regarding RVE
    FCP,other stuff about FCP
    WTN,blah blah blah

Then one could globally Replace "," with "-TC,"
    This would give....

RVE-TC,stuff regarding RVE
    FCP-TC,other stuff about FCP
    WTN-TC,blah blah blah

Save the file back as "Watchlist-1 QC6.sym" wherever you wish, like the Symbol folder in your 6.0 installation. The file is good to go for importing into QCharts 6.0. The "TC:" prefix is not required on the import. If one subsequently exports with the Totals and Comments option, then the result will include the prefix.

There are many ways to skin this cat(*). What's important here is the general drift...the quotesheet can be exported, with comments, in a form that one can subsequently massage with a text editor.

LAM
    *oops...sorry PETA, but I just saw a dead cat bounce a couple of days ago.

Thanks Larry for the feedback. Currently, the lines/comments data is stored in the all-encompassing workspace file, and at this time there isn't an easy way to change this. To my knowledge the use of a hex-reader to decipher and change a workspace file isn't a feasible solution either. I tried using a popular hex-editor to manually change symbols in a sample workspace file, and QCharts crashed upon trying to open said edited file.

Ideally, the loading of a QCharts 5.1 workspace should just work and convert everything cleanly over to the QCharts 6.0 symbol format in every case. That's certainly the ideal and something we're striving for in QCharts 6.1.
    Regards,
    Jay F.
    Product Manager

Comment

Additional symbol difference questions

There are three indexes that did not translate for me.
      What is the new symbol for Nasdaq (formerly compx), Goldman Sachs semi's (formerly GSM) and Goldman Sachs Bankers (formerly GYY)?

Thanks all,
      Matthew

Comment

Matthew,
        Here are some Indices translations for you.
        Carol
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ckelly; 11-24-2007, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much for that helpful reply.

Matthew

Comment

Carol,

Thanx for pointing me to this thread. Unfortunately, I still cannot get GY A0 or any of the GI# A0 symbols to give me a chart in 6.0.1.2. Here is a screen capture of a quote sheet showing what I get:

Do these work for everyone else? Is there a specific subscription required for these? Or a different way to enter them (some type of prefix I'm missing?)?

Thanx.

Comment

I just brought up my QCharts 6 and I had no problem with GY A0 populating the quote box and populating my charts. I am running W, D, 233, 55, 35 and all populated.

Originally posted by carbuff
              Carol,

Thanx for pointing me to this thread. Unfortunately, I still cannot get GY A0 or any of the GI# A0 symbols to give me a chart in 6.0.1.2. Here is a screen capture of a quote sheet showing what I get:

Do these work for everyone else? Is there a specific subscription required for these? Or a different way to enter them (some type of prefix I'm missing?)?

Thanx.

Comment

I believe the GY indices require a subscription to the S & P Cash Indices package. S & P decided to charge for a handful of indices, so they had to be tied to a fee... similar to an exchange fee. Adding this service can be done through Account Maintenance under your QCharts Help menu.
                Regards,
                Jay F.
                Product Manager

Comment

Thanx Jay,

I was not subscribed to the S&P Cash Indices, so I just added that subscription ($1 a month for anyone who cares). It took about 30 minutes or so to reflect the change, but I can now get data on these indices.

Originally posted by JayF
                  I believe the GY indices require a subscription to the S & P Cash Indices package. S & P decided to charge for a handful of indices, so they had to be tied to a fee... similar to an exchange fee. Adding this service can be done through Account Maintenance under your QCharts Help menu.

Comment

Symbol Translation 5.1 to 6.0

GY AO in QC6 and GYY in QC 5.1 show unchanged at 404.226 since 12/24 with the same price for highs and lows and the short charts flat lined.

I verified that my account subscription includes the S&P cash indices.

Seems odd. The DJUSIM index shows a much different story.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X