Esignal 11 needs workspaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esignal 11 needs workspaces

The new tabbed pages are nice, but they have limited utility over v10. They are useful to tidy up the interface, mainly. Esignal needs to add the ability to save pages as a collection--a "workspace". I haven't used many of the competitors, but I have used tradestation a bit, and it supports such an arrangement.

In not having workspaces, esignal seems to assume that users have one basic chart setup, and perhaps load some other views occasionally. Maybe that's true for some people, but I work like this:

I have a trading setup that I use during the day, and an analysis setup that I use after market hours. Actually, I have several of each, but to keep the discussion simple…

During the trading session, I have several charts to give a general view of the market (the US dollar, oil, business sector, $TICK…), and at least two time frames of each product I might trade (NQ, YM, ES)--for most, I will probably have a couple of longer time frames as well, which I look at less often, to get the bigger picture.

In esignal 10, that meant squeezing in a lot of overlapping charts, and bringing forward lesser-viewed charts by using the Window menu. Esignal 11 means I can put the lesser-viewed charts on a separate tabbed page--the longer term charts, for instance. So v11 has brought me a decent convenience, though not too important.

After hours, I prepare for the next day but looking at many time frames of the things I trade. For instance, I'll have a page of nothing but ES, in 5 minute, 15 minute, 60 minute, 120 minute, daily, weekly, monthly--for most of these, there will be two charts each, one globex, and one limited to regular session. When I'm done analyzing ES, I'll open a similar one with NQ, and repeat the process. And again with YM.

Esignal 11 doesn't do much for me here. I'd still have to lump all of those time frames on one tab anyway, otherwise I'd be shuffling too many files as I changed by work setup. In fact, I don't use esignal 11, despite beta testing it.

Esignal 11 needs to be able to save entire workspaces--sets of tabbed pages. The current improvement with tabbed pages is purely cosmetic for me--it's just not very useful without the ability to save and load sets as workspaces.

Any one else feel this way? Or just me? Maybe other people work differently.

Yes, I sent in a suggestion for this during the beta phase.

Thanks codehead for your feedback and sharing your day-to-day work-flow. We do have plans on adding workspaces in a release sometime around the summer of this year (either a June or August release.)
    Regards,
    Jay F.
    Product Manager

Comment

Originally posted by JayF
      Thanks codehead for your feedback and sharing your day-to-day work-flow. We do have plans on adding workspaces in a release sometime around the summer of this year (either a June or August release.)
      That is good news, Jay--thanks!

Comment

Glad to hear Workspaces are coming.

One of my most used features of eS10 was the ability to open multiple instances of eSig. I run multiple monitors and having several instances running yet organized/manged/handled to different sizes/overlays. Having the charts docked to a window is brilliant (far better than undocked charts getting in the way of apps as they fall behind each other etc).

Adding the long overdue interval linking does away with some of the need for layering of layouts, as does tabs, but I still want more than one instance running for what I am trying to do, with a totally separate set of tabs for each instance. Currently when I try to open a 2nd instance of eS11 it just directs me to the single instance already running.

One annoyance with eS10 was it only remembers where you "saved" the last instance when you start loading them, so I have to adjust the layout each day (not a big issue or major time waster to be honest but depends how many instances you run, tabs fix much of that). If on opening it asked me which workspace I wanted and remembered which handles on my monitor arrays it belonged to, that would be nice.

Also is there a way to turn off the ticker bar at the top?

On a less serious note how about a window that links to my twitter and facebook feeds, at least eS11 will be useful in the meantime then ;-)

Comment

Rob

Right click the ticker bar and click Hide Quote Ticker or select Tools in the main menu and uncheck Quote Ticker
          Alex

Originally posted by Rob McDonald
          Glad to hear Workspaces are coming.

One of my most used features of eS10 was the ability to open multiple instances of eSig. I run multiple monitors and having several instances running yet organized/manged/handled to different sizes/overlays. Having the charts docked to a window is brilliant (far better than undocked charts getting in the way of apps as they fall behind each other etc).

Adding the long overdue interval linking does away with some of the need for layering of layouts, as does tabs, but I still want more than one instance running for what I am trying to do, with a totally separate set of tabs for each instance. Currently when I try to open a 2nd instance of eS11 it just directs me to the single instance already running.

One annoyance with eS10 was it only remembers where you "saved" the last instance when you start loading them, so I have to adjust the layout each day (not a big issue or major time waster to be honest but depends how many instances you run, tabs fix much of that). If on opening it asked me which workspace I wanted and remembered which handles on my monitor arrays it belonged to, that would be nice.

On a less serious note how about a window that links to my twitter and facebook feeds, at least eS11 will be useful in the meantime then ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Alexis C. Montenegro
            Rob

Right click the ticker bar and click Hide Quote Ticker or select Tools in the main menu and uncheck Quote Ticker
            Alex
            ugh, brain fade, yup that'd do the trick. trying to fiddle without really trying while writing a post is an excellent way to look foolish.

Comment

Working...
            X