QCharts to eSignal Functionality Mapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QCharts to eSignal Functionality Mapping

Does eSignal 11 have the QCharts functionality that is defined by the mkthours file? In other words, a 60-minute, all-sessions chart of ES H3 in QCharts begins each trading day at 18:00 EST and charts in hourly increments until the open of regular trading hours at 9:30 EST, at which time new 60-minute bars are generated. For example, the bars for ES H3 in QCharts are as follows:

Brian

Using time templates in the eSignal program you can duplicate this behavior. The eSignal charts do not use the mkthours file.
    Thank you,
    Eric O.
    eSignal Support

Comment

Let's say I have a template like the one I just described for ES H3 (60-minute, all-sessions), and there is a market holiday on Monday like we just had with MLK Day. Trading starts at 18:00 on Sunday night, and eSignal makes charts on the hour until 9:30 as defined by the template, and then makes bars at 9:30 and 10:30 to reflect what would normally be regular trading hours. Trading halts at 11:30. Are there empty bars from 11:30 through 16:30 due to the holiday? How does the system know there should be no bars from 11:30 until trading resumes at 18:00?
      Brian

Comment

If there is data to be displayed, the eSignal program will display it. If there is no data, it will not be displayed. You can set the eSignal program to show the whitespace for the time where there is no data or you can eliminate this white space and just have it skip to the next bar if you like.
        Thank you,
        Eric O.
        eSignal Support

Comment

Not to belabor the question, but let's say trading has stopped on that Monday at 10:29 due to the exchange holiday. There should be white space until 18:00. However, eSignal transmits a tick or two of the last trade price from Monday morning or the Friday closing price every hour until the market opens at 18:00, which is common. The system will then create bars, right? How are those bars where no real trading occurred eliminated?
          Brian

Comment

I have one additional question (please don't forget to answer the post at 09:54 AM). In my previous use of eSignal templates, I could set templates to start at a particular time (say 18:00) and create 60-minute, all-sessions charts. I do not recall being able to have those templates use multiple "anchors" for the bars. In other words, there was no way to have bars starting at 1800/1900/2000... and 930/1030/1130... in the same template/same trading day. Has the functionality of the templates been enhanced?
            Brian

Comment

In regards to your first post, if there is a tick of legit data on an eSignal chart, there is no way to remove this from the chart unless you were to filter out the time in which that data happened.

For your second post, eSignal 11 has the ability to set to multiple sessions in time templates. This fixes the 188/1900/2000 and 930/1030/1130 issue.
              Thank you,
              Eric O.
              eSignal Support

Comment

One last question, and then I'll stop. How does one filter out the legitimate ticks during those holiday hours when no actual trading occurs? Thanks.
                Brian

Comment

The only way to do what would be the elimnate the times when they happened, using a time template.
                  Thank you,
                  Eric O.
                  eSignal Support

Comment

Based on this thread, I would have to conclude that eSignal can't really replicate this feature in QCharts. Unless the time template has an infinite number of exceptions, it simply can't work like QCharts with a mkthours file. If I map a holiday for Monday, then it will always be there every Monday, will it not? If I filter out "legitimate" ticks when there is no market activity due to a holiday, those hours will always be filtered, will they not? If I restore the basic settings to the time template, then the holiday settings and filtered data settings disappear, right?
                    Brian

Comment

Although an exact replication of the charting behavior in QCharts isn't something that can be done by the eSignal program, the data accuracy, charting options and features that are available in the eSignal program make it possible to accomplish the same things and much more. I would suggest trying it out and seeing if the software is something that would work for you. If you contact our tech support team we can grant you access to the program and you can take a look.
                      Thank you,
                      Eric O.
                      eSignal Support

Comment

Working...
                      X