Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help on knowledge base marketdepth funtions, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help on knowledge base marketdepth funtions, please.

Hi,

I couldn't get the example below from knowledge base to work:

function preMain () {

}

var depthID = 0;

function main()
    {
    var SourceList = MarketDepth.getSources();

if (SourceList !=null)
    {
    depthID = MarketDepth.subscribe(SourceList[0]);

debugPrintln("DepthbidSize: " + MarketDepth.bidSize( depthID, 0 ));
    debugPrintln("DepthaskSize: " + MarketDepth.askSize( depthID, 0 ));
    }

MarketDepth.unsubscribe(DepthID);

}

SourceList comes out to be Null because MarketDepth.getSources() isn't giving a value. I subscribed to nasdaq total view and i'm getting data from esignal instead of other brokerage so am I suppose to get a value back when I call getsources()?. there's not enough explanation for these marketdepth functions.

ultimately i'm trying to save to a txt file level II data, ie bid/ask size and price and market maker ID to file for offline analysis. i'm new and I thought this is the way to go. I figure if I get this working I can build on it.

thanks for anyone's help.

firstnull
    Comment out (or delete) the following line of code from your script
    as I believe the example is incorrect in this regard
    Once you do that it should work (it does at my end)
    Alex

Originally posted by firstnull View Post
    Hi,

I couldn't get the example below from knowledge base to work:

function preMain () {

}

var depthID = 0;

function main()
    {
    var SourceList = MarketDepth.getSources();

if (SourceList !=null)
    {
    depthID = MarketDepth.subscribe(SourceList[0]);

debugPrintln("DepthbidSize: " + MarketDepth.bidSize( depthID, 0 ));
    debugPrintln("DepthaskSize: " + MarketDepth.askSize( depthID, 0 ));
    }

}

SourceList comes out to be Null because MarketDepth.getSources() isn't giving a value. I subscribed to nasdaq total view and i'm getting data from esignal instead of other brokerage so am I suppose to get a value back when I call getsources()?. there's not enough explanation for these marketdepth functions.

ultimately i'm trying to save to a txt file level II data, ie bid/ask size and price and market maker ID to file for offline analysis. i'm new and I thought this is the way to go. I figure if I get this working I can build on it.

thanks for anyone's help.

Comment

Thanks, ACM, but that didn't work either. MarketDepth.getSources() still returns Null.

Comment

firstnull
        As I said it is working at my end as you can see in the two screenshots enclosed below
        FWIW I slightly modified the debug line to print the bid depth count, the bid value and bid size at the specified depth ie 0 in the top screenshot and 1 in bottom (note that in the Formula Output it shows DepthaskSize instead of DepthbidSize only because I forgot to edit the string)
        Alex

Originally posted by firstnull View Post
        Thanks, ACM, but that didn't work either. MarketDepth.getSources() still returns Null.

Comment

Thanks, Alex. So to test this out I coded this as a study and reloaded the study after making the change you suggested during market hrs to be sure I have level 2 quotes but the formula output window still printed NUll.

Comment

Hi Alex,

After you wrote this study and you verify it, you added it to a chart right? and when you did that it started printing to the output screen? I did that process but it's not printing. am i missing a step somewhere?

thanks

Comment

Working...
            X