Downloading data and Volume chart playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloading data and Volume chart playback

Hi. This is no big thing but you might want to look into it. From my experience there doesn’t seem to be a definite time of day after which the eSig 10.6 downloader when set to one day’s data will consistently download only one day of data? What I have found when at 15:00 or 16:00 I set the downloader to download one day of data I will sometimes get data from say 16:00, as I did today, to 15:00 of the previous trading day, which is fine. But on other days I will get only one hour of data, that is from 16:00 to 15:00 of the same day. When that occurs I have to do a second download but this time set the downloader to 2 days of data. As I wrote above this is no big thing but it seems to be to be a lose-lose situation in that the subscriber has to do two downloads which means re-downloading some data which has already been downloaded during the first attempt and eSignal’s severs have to supply that duplicate data. You may be wondering why I just don’t upgrade to the eSig 11 series making downloading data unnecessary. The reason is I use volume charts in my analysis and the last time I checked the playback speed in eSig 11 playback mode can only be adjusted on a time basis. For time based charts this is fine but for volume based charts it distorts what I call “the real time dance” of the market. For example, in eSig 11 to duplicate the real time formation of a 10000 volume bar at what playback speed should the program be set? The answer is, it’s unknown because in real time a 10000 volume bar may be completed in one minute or five seconds depending on the pace of trading from the opening of the bar to its close. Most who day trade using time based charts recognize the value of feeling in sync with the market’s movements. When traders are in what psychologists call the Flow State and athletes call the Zone they are in psychological sync with the market and can reproduce this psychological symbiosis using the playback function to practice. But this real time reproduction of events is denied to users of eSig 11 who use volume charts because the natural formative pace of a volume based price bar must be squeezed into an artificial, preset time interval. For those who use volume charts in eSig 11 playback mode the real time price dance disappears , limiting the chances of the trader to profit by dancing with the market. Sigh.

Ops. I just came across a comment on youtube.com
    (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyPaDERGSJQ ) with regard to eSignal 12. The comment read, “Yes, backtesting (similar to version 10.6) is available with eSignal 12.” If this is true, forget the last half of my post below and congrats to eSig for recognizing a need and filling it.

Comment

Hi mikejhelms,

A consistent time of day for the daily data capture is in development with our server team. No ETA of when it will be ready.

Sincerely,

Eric L.

Comment

Working...
      X