Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CLOSED Bug: Trade.closeAndCancelAll() returns only "Sell" instead of "Sell to Cover"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLOSED Bug: Trade.closeAndCancelAll() returns only "Sell" instead of "Sell to Cover"

Using the function "PrintFullOrder(orderID)" to display Full Orders returns "Buy to Cover" (in the action field) when closing out a short position using Trade.closeAndCancelAll() as it should, however when closing out a long position, it only returns "Sell" in the "action" field, rather than "Sell to Cover", although it does close the position and cancels any stop orders. I suspect that the field is simply not being populated appropriately as the functionality is there.
    Returning "Sell to Cover" would be great.

Cheers

tgreenson
    Actually I believe the terminology used by eSignal is correct (and is not a bug) and I do not think that it should be changed.
    You “buy to cover” a short position and you “sell” to close [or liquidate] a long position (as opposed to “sell short” to initiate a short position). As far as I know “sell to cover” is a term used only with options namely when exercising stock options and concurrently selling some of the stock to cover the exercise costs
    Alex

Originally posted by tgreenson View Post
    Using the function "PrintFullOrder(orderID)" to display Full Orders returns "Buy to Cover" (in the action field) when closing out a short position using Trade.closeAndCancelAll() as it should, however when closing out a long position, it only returns "Sell" in the "action" field, rather than "Sell to Cover", although it does close the position and cancels any stop orders. I suspect that the field is simply not being populated appropriately as the functionality is there.
    Returning "Sell to Cover" would be great.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up for me Alex...I was going by what I thought I had read in the documentation and apparently I had misread it ... the only two options were "Sell" and "Sell Short", definitely not "Sell" and "Sell to Cover".
      Thanks again!

Comment

tgreenson
        You are welcome
        Alex

Originally posted by tgreenson View Post
        Thanks for clearing that up for me Alex...I was going by what I thought I had read in the documentation and apparently I had misread it ... the only two options were "Sell" and "Sell Short", definitely not "Sell" and "Sell to Cover".
        Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X