Possible conflict between EFS-AT & eSignal v12.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible conflict between EFS-AT & eSignal v12.1

I run the same one script on each of 14 charts within a single page. Typically the script will load on all charts within a few seconds. Upon installing and running v12.1, my script still loads, but it does so once-at-a-time across the charts, with each taking a few minutes to develop. I use this same script in v10.6 to take advantage of Tick Replay Mode -- which Mode never made it into versions 11 and 12 -- and so in order to use the EFS-AT enhancements available in the newer versions I have to set a flag that tells the script which version is running (the EFS-AT functions, if called in v10.6, will blow up the script). If I set this flag to its v10.6 value but actually run the script in the latest v12.1, the script loads promptly on all charts, as it should. In other words, it seems to be the calls to the EFS-AT functions that are causing the script-loading problem in v12.1. Has anyone else experienced such a thing?

Hi Odgo,

It is very hard to provide any feedback as your description is too generic.
    which particular EFS-AT functions are you using and suspecting of causing you trouble?

Instead of a flag I would recommend to use a function which will detect eSignal version number automatically:
    getbuildnumber() will tell you which esignal you are using
    Cheers

Comment

Hello AdamS01,

From your various posts, I know that you were an early adopter and have worked extensively with EFS-AT. So are you saying that your programs work fine with v12.1 because, if so, I will assume that it is something about my implementation that is at fault (as opposed to a higher-level eSignal issue). You're OK with v12.1?

Thanks for your reply,
      odgo

Comment

Hi Odgo

I spend last few days running my programs and I have to agree with you.
        I do see significant performance decrease in V 12.1 when loading Tick based charts (like Range bar charts which I use)
        My EFS programs take significantly more time to load.
        They where just sitting there for few minutes and displaying: calculating
        My Range Bar Charts started taking minutes to load.
        To have however resolved this issue and
        I have modified my (EFS-AT) trading programs, to skip any calculations on charts which are loading.
        Now I only calculate value of my indicators on last bar.
        This is a bit unpleasant as I do not see my indicators and drawing on my chart, but program now loads instantly and start processing trades with no delays.

I am not sure if thats of any helps, but
        I have added to my main function some code which skips any indicator calculations until we are on last bar.
        Programs now work fast.
        I am not sure what the change between v12 and 12.1 was. Maybe Esignal engineers will look at that and give us some suggestions.
        I hope that the following work around will help you:

I have added to main function the following code to s=kip any indicator processing until we are on the last bar, and ready to place live orders.
        //script is initialising
        if ( getBarState() == BARSTATE_ALLBARS )
        {

return null;
        }

if (!isLastBarOnChart()
        )
        {

return null;
        }

Comment

Why does my script load slowly – orders of magnitude more slowly – in v12.1 as compared with the loading times in v10.6, v11.X & v12.0? After some troubleshooting, I believe I have isolated the problem to a function call in EFS-AT. If I do not call Connection.isConnected(), my script loads in each of my 14 charts smoothly and quickly. If, following AdamS01's recommendation, I call this function only when absolutely necessary (i.e., when isLastBarOnChart() is true), the script loads promptly although slightly differently from my previous experience. Question for the developers: Was there any change in this function, or kindred functions, in migrating from v12.0 to v12.1?

Comment

In my case I am calling functions in function library; That become very slow in 12.1

Comment

Hello Guys,

Question for the developers: Was there any change in this function, or kindred functions, in migrating from v12.0 to v12.1?
              We have changed the behavior of the method isConnected() of the Connection object.
              In v12.0 isConnected() referenced the trading-snapshot and took the necessary information from this snapshot.
              In v12.1 we have changed the behavior of this method so that now isConnected() references every time the actual trading status and takes the needed information from that. Consequently the time of the execution isConnected() has been increased.

We have done this change by reason of the AdamS01's complaint from this private thread: REOPENED-Bug-37737-Paper-Trading-account-does-not-reconnect-after-disconnection
              Quote from this thread:
              AdamS01: EFS error messages failures on buyMarket - even that I am testing and placing this order only when connection is ON
              eSignal: All trade commands are placed in an execution queue with the current state of trading. The command “buyMarket” stands in the queue with the current state “isConnected == true”. But when the time comes to execute its status may already have changed.
              We are investigating this issue and searching ways to improve it.

To avoid to time-lag issue you can use the check isLastBarOnChart() to not execute isConnected() on history.

Please let us know if you have any problems in other cases with the new behavior of this function.

Thank you,

eSignal Support

Comment

Hi Avery,

Thank you for your comments and for working on the issues.
                I applied your suggestion, but I still find EFS-AT in 12.1 very unstable.
                my EFS programs tend to be very slow and stop without telling me the reason.
                Regards
                Adam

Comment

I have retreated to v12.0 in my daily trading, but I noticed there was a new build of v12.1 (May 29, 2015) so I experimented with it for a day. I encountered two identical errors that were written to the Formula Output file and caused their respective scripts to die. The entries read (as I remember them) "error: Connection.isConnected() : script stopped". I don't know what caused these errors or why they occurred on only two of my 14 charts that run this identical script. I found that script loading is still quite slow even after implementing the programming suggestions offered in this post.

Comment

Preliminary tests suggest that the latest version of eSignal v12.2 has fixed my slow-loading-script problem. I hope others agree and can confirm this improvement.

Comment

I have not had any loading delays with ver 12.2, but my scripts always checked the broker connection only after the script was processing the latest bar.

Comment

Working...
                      X