Heikin-ashi formula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heikin-ashi formula

I pulled up the Heikin-Ashi EFS and like it as an alternative to the usual price candles since it smooths out the action a little.

How do I throw up other studies on top of the HA chart (e.g., Moving averages, bollinger bands, etc.) ?

You can make copies of the studies you want to "throw up" on the chart and have setPriceStudy(false).

Or in the HA study, setPriceStudy(true).

Comment

Buzz, Thnx for your reply.

If I setPriceStudy(true) in the HA study, that just overlays my HA study on top of the regular price candles, w/out using the HA study results as input for any indicators I put on that.

If I make copies of studies and setPriceStudy(false) in them, and then overlay them on the HA indicator, eSignal forces the scaling of all studies to max-out at the high and the low of the indicator window. Hence, if I scroll back and forth, looking for simple Moving Average Crossovers, the results are meaningless as they depend upon the size of my window and the bar spacing. Is there a way to turn off this auto-scaling feature of eSignal so that I can do a simple Moving Average crossover study on HA ?

Comment

I encountered the same problems when I first played about with Heiken Ashi.

In the end I plotted what I wanted in the indicator pane along with the Heiken Ashi, making a rather large efs.

Pictured here.

http://share.esignal.com/groupconten...ng&groupid=860

Paul Murray

Comment

Paul,

How did you turn off the auto-scaling?

Comment

Paul,

For example, here is my HA study with the 21 and 34 ema's on it (blue = 24, black = 34). I show the chart at two different times, just 10 bars apart. As you can see, as time goes on, due to the auto-scaling, the "Moving average crossover" disappears in the 2nd file.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's the 2nd image -- could not load w/the prior one, together.
              Attached Files

Comment

There is no re-scaling it is all in the same efs.

Just more values returned, for each new study added to the efs.

Paul.

Comment

ah, I see. Gotchya.

Was hoping there was a more elegant way to do this than to rebuild EFS's for each time I want to try a different indicator on top of another.

Thnx for your time.

Comment

I'm sure I have seen posts where the more educated efs users mention a way round it - but it has never worked for me.

It was interesting to add stuff and not get too confused.

Paul.

Comment

Hey, this may be a place where the reload efs comes in...

Maybe you could change the limits in setstudymin/max...

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

Paul,

Could you pls post the EFS for what you have pictured here.

http://share.esignal.com/groupconte...png&groupid=860

I'm stuck and got an EFS that keeps crashing on me when I try to make a Heikin Ashi indicator that has a 21 EMA overlayed on top of it.

Thnx

Comment

Hi Fish,

this thread from Alexis has a smoothing line on the Heikin Ashi, which I built my study on, and you won't have to struggle through my coding.

http://forum.esignalcentral.com/show...ashi+smoothing

Paul.

Comment

Thnx, Paul.

That helped a lot.

Cheers!

Comment

No problem, I always grab any efs on the board to see if I can learn from it.

Paul.

Comment

Working...
                              X