Better plotting needed for volume and on-balance volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better plotting needed for volume and on-balance volume

The current way of plotting volume and on-balance volumes is useless once an out of scale order takes place. It renders invisible or almost invisible all the following volumes when we want to be able to sense the action at a glance. This is a plague in most trading programs I have seen and nobody seems to come with a better solution.
    For two years in a row, I made suggestions for improvement via suggestion messages. Never heard from them. I am just a beginner at EFS and feel they will not come with a solution until I will become better and do it myself. However, I am sure amongst you there are already proficient EFS programers that could do it.

Here is in its essence a two prong solution that I propose:
    1. The scale should be based on an algorithm that sets the average volume (based on chart interval) at around 25 to 35 percent. All the random volumes within the normal average should then be nicely visible.
    2. When an off-scale volume occurs, it should be plotted at full scale with either a different color or line type. The correct value should not be altered wherever used. Those interested in that value could find it in data the normal way.

I am not very particular about the figures I mentioned above. Some people may feel the optimum is different (particularly in relation with seeing the increased volumes at certain times of the chart. I feel, however, that a margin of 65 to 75 percent for increased action should be sufficient to give a hint of what is going on, even if all the bars were to be plotted at full scale. The important thing is that the volumes should be well visible at all times, rather than seeing a single off-scale bar in the middle of the volume plot.
Working...
X