Interesting method of determining performance overhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting method of determining performance overhead

I wrote a function that can be used as part of an efs which is intended to sort the rows of a 2 dimensional array. It was written to perform the sort in descending or ascending order, using up to 3 fields to determine the sort order.

Well, I was wondering what the overhead would be related to calling this function. What I did was that I ran the efs and recorded the duration of it in the performance monitor. I then put a recursive loop in the efs and kept incrementing the number, because it ran so fast.

I finally called the routine 2,000,000 times sorting 20 array rows, 4 long. It took 16.3 miliseconds total for 2 million calls, not bad. That's 0.00000815 milliseconds each call which is minimal overhead.

Anyways, interesting experiment, and surprising results. I uploaded the function to my fileshare area for those interested.

The efs which I wrote to perform the test is below if anyone is interested in seeing how I ran the performance check and maybe playing around with it themselves.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2004, 05:44 PM.
Working...
X