Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else having problems: eSignal SLOW speed loading data?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else having problems: eSignal SLOW speed loading data?

Hi, recently I have been noticing that eSignal is taking forever to load the data for some stocks.

My test:
    - Only one chart open
    - Only one Time and Sales Open
    - No studies running
    - No EFS running

My configuration:
    - Dell XPS 720
    - Intel Core Duo 2 @ 3.00 GHz
    - 2 GB RAM
    - CPU utilization during test: less that 10%

My connection:
    - Comcast Cable modem
    - Latest speed test Down: 14805 kbps Up: 1382 kbps
    - Also I have been tested using a ATT DSL connection

I firmly believe that eSignal is having problems on their servers. Also, it is strange that some stocks load pretty quickly while others take forever.

Please help, it is really hard to trade using a slow platform.

I've been having lots of problems also lately. Yesterday the charts loaded but the quotes did not and the whole system froze. This also happened several weeks ago then cleared up without my changing anything which also led me to suspect something strange on the server side.

Comment

I too am having serious issues getting data to load; especially sub-daily charts.

This has been happening for many days, and I have been patient, but it has reached a ridiculous stage.

eSignal please advise/update as to when this problem will be solved.

Comment

In these cases where intraday charts are slow to load, it would really help to call us or use LiveRep so we can see where you are connected. We have over 1200 servers and there have been a few issues with a handful of those day by day. We're looking for patterns but users can get "stuck" on a server not working 100%.
        So, if charts are really slow to load, try restarting eSignal to get fresh connections. If that does not help. please contact us directly.

Thanks for your patience.

Comment

This problem has becoming systemic with eSignal over the past few months.

Scott,

If you really want customer's help in looking for patterns (to identify which servers are having problems), then provide a way for customer's to identify which server they're connected to without taking up our time.

Make it easy to report the problem and you'll get tons of data, the problems will be solved and everyone will be happier.

Some ideas that come to mind: Put the server # in the Data Manager's "Help About", have a diagnostic option to log the server #s and time, provide a separate small diagnostic program, etc.

I personally have this problem mostly on the weekend since that's when I do most of my downloading of tick data. Who do I contact? During the week I'm trading and I don't have time to contact eSignal and help you do diagnostics when I'm trading.

If eSignal can't resolve it's flaky historical tick data and tick charts
          it's going to start losing customers. eSignal's lack of diagnostic tools is upsetting customers because it's taking eSignal WAY too long to resolve this.

Comment

I agree with you 100% in terms of your diagnostic suggestions. Unfortunately, our system was not designed to feed the server information back-up stream to the users desktop. We've asked for that capability to be designed but it hasn't been implemented as of yet.

So, we are working on all the fronts we can to resolve the sporadic issues asap. Those efforts include improving the way the desktop makes requests, making the server alarms smarter so they detect a server in distress quicker and in the design of the tick and history servers themselves.

This overall effort to increase the stability and consistently of chart retrieval and overall desktop performance is at the top of our priority list.

Thanks.

Comment

I'd also like to remind everyone to consider testing our new "trade-only" intraday/tick servers. We store 70% less data on these servers so pulling up intraday charts should be considerably quicker. Based on the results so far, it's likely we'll permanently put these trade-only servers in place and give users a choice.

See this thread for more info.

Thanks.

Comment

I've been having lots of problems also lately.
                -Charts loading slow, even in a slow moving market. i.e. sometimes 5 to 10 sec
                -Delays with T&S
                -Delays in bid/ask comparing to IB (even in slow markets!)3 seconds

Things i did to solve problem without any succes...

-Esignal 10, now running 8 again because charts load a bit faster
                -Running just one chart without studies (not working, same issues)
                -The liverep couldn't help me, so called the helpdesk (Russell). They did a pingtest that was good. Hooking up to the same server as i was, at that time (ofcourse) no delays, but still having them.
                -changing datamanagers 8.0 to 8.1 and in Esignal 10 latest version datamanager. No results.
                -clean install of Windows. No results.
                -Reboot cablemodem. No results.
                -PC specs are more than average.

I am having these problems a couple of months now and it really starts to get on my nerves.

I think your developteam needs to split Esignal into two different versions:
                a light and a normal one because i think the advanced get scan slows down the calculation of the data. (im not subcribed to the Advancegetscan)

Hope to hear from you guys soon!!!

Regards,

Sebastian

ps. a friend of mine has also posted the same problems but still no replies, how come?!? date posted 1-23-08
                http://forum.esignalcentral.com/show...threadid=25696
                Last edited by Sebastian; 02-05-2008, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Please PM your username so i can have someone call you. You've done many of the troubleshooting steps we'd recommend but we have a few other steps that only we can administer. One, for ex, involves checking your connection to determine if we're unable to send all the ticks to you. That can cause b/a to appear slow.

I will post on your friends thread but please invite him to pm me as well.

Thanks.

Comment

I agree with Scottj, I believe the problem depends on the server you are connected. What I can't understand is that if eSignal knows that they are having problems with some of their servers, why those servers haven't been replaced or reinstalled?

I also agree with Sebastian, downgrading to eSignal 8 works, although it is not the solution. eSignal 8 is much faster that eSignal 10.

In reference to the new servers "trade-only" intraday/tick servers, I don't think that is the solution either. I contacted customer support today to switch to these new servers. I don't need historical bids and asks, I only need historical trades. I was told by the representative that I will not receive any bid or ask data, even current bid and ask. I would like to ask, how can anyone trade without knowing the current bid and ask?

I think these new servers could be the solution, but at least the current bid and ask is necessary.

Please, if anyone finds a solution to improve the speed please post it.

Thank you.

Comment

Please let me apologize for the miscommunication about the Trade Only servers. The Trade Only servers do provide Real Time Bid and Ask, what we have eliminated from these servers is the Historical Bid and Ask to decrease chart loading time.
                      I'll be sure to pass this a long to the rest of the Techncal Support Department so that we are all on the same page.

Please PM me your username so that one of our Technicians can contact you back to continue troubleshooting.

AveryH
                      eSignal Support

Comment

Today - 3 attempts to get multi-day tick data for Volume chart on ES

Unfortunately, our system was not designed to feed the server information back-up stream to the users desktop.
                        Well, the users could be asked to run netstat, it shows all active connections, but not just eSig ones so that might cause privacy issues if everything was redirected to a file and posted, but users could be asked to pick out the eSignal lines? If eSignal really are interested that is.

Anyway, today I've loaded eSig three times before I finally got three days of tick data.

On the first attempt my favourite trick of a tick file download did not work, I requested 6 days, but when I found my charts were incomplete I looked at the file and found only 2 days. Here are the net connections that applied (all of them)
                        Code:
                        Active Connections

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
                          TCP    first07:1373           localhost:1374         ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1374           localhost:1373         ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1375           localhost:1376         ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1376           localhost:1375         ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:2189           localhost:2872         ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:2189           localhost:4012         ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:2872           localhost:2189         ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:4012           localhost:2189         ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:netbios-ssn    172.16.253.4:49715     ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:pptp           ip226-197.esignal.com:2189  ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1772           172.16.254.3:41741     TIME_WAIT
                          TCP    first07:1788           172.16.254.3:epmap     TIME_WAIT
                          TCP    first07:1789           172.16.254.3:1026      TIME_WAIT
                          TCP    first07:1791           172.16.254.3:1026      TIME_WAIT
                          TCP    first07:1792           172.16.254.3:ldap      TIME_WAIT
                          TCP    first07:1793           172.16.254.3:ldap      TIME_WAIT
                          TCP    first07:1794           172.16.254.3:microsoft-ds  TIME_WAIT
                          TCP    first07:1799           172.16.254.3:41741     ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1800           172.16.254.3:41741     TIME_WAIT
                          TCP    first07:1804           srs.fulcrum-hosting.com:http  ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1805           172.16.254.3:microsoft-ds  ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:2017           172.16.254.3:41741     ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:2748           172.16.254.3:1026      ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:2877           ip225-132.esignal.com:2194  ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:2878           ip224-160.esignal.com:2190  ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:2879           ip225-159.esignal.com:2192  ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:2880           ip224-132.esignal.com:2193  ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:3692           81.90.92.23:https      ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:4016           ip225-159.esignal.com:2192  ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:4018           ip225-132.esignal.com:2194  ESTABLISHED
                        On the second attempt I didn't even bother to try to download multi-day data as the current day (today) was incomplete, here are the connections
                        Code:
                        Active Connections

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
                          TCP    first07:1373           localhost:1374         ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1374           localhost:1373         ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1375           localhost:1376         ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1376           localhost:1375         ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1905           localhost:2189         ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:2189           localhost:1905         ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:netbios-ssn    172.16.253.4:49715     ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:netbios-ssn    172.16.254.3:59233     ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1898           ip232-169.esignal.com:2192  ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1903           ip224-87.esignal.com:2189  ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1908           ip225-135.esignal.com:2194  ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1910           srs.fulcrum-hosting.com:http  CLOSE_WAIT
                          TCP    first07:1917           172.16.254.3:41741     ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1918           172.16.254.3:41741     TIME_WAIT
                          TCP    first07:1919           172.16.254.3:41741     TIME_WAIT
                          TCP    first07:1921           172.16.254.3:41741     ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1922           172.16.254.3:41741     ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:1923           204.212.170.225:http   ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:2017           172.16.254.3:41741     ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:2748           172.16.254.3:1026      ESTABLISHED
                          TCP    first07:3692           81.90.92.23:https      ESTABLISHED
                        On the third attempt it worked (well, I did do a tick download).

It does take rather a long time collating this information for eSignal, any chance of doing some trading now?

Comment

slow charts

My problems started with ver 10.

I use 2 volume charts and one 30 min chart. ES only. I have been using Esignal for 5 years, no problems.

Friday before the last 30min volume spike my cpu was at 60 to 70%. The last 30 minutes it was 100%. Even during news my cpu never goes above 30%.
                          I have the same problems all of the above posters have. I was going to upgrade to a 3ghz intel, but that does not seem to be a solution.

Please help me help you fix the problem. I left Qcharts 5 years ago for this same problem.

Comment

I have done everything that was asked of me (called chatted reinstalled deleted). My eSignal is not only still slow; It now crashes when i try to pull up some symbols.

I would like a step by step post on how to "downgrade" back to eSignal 8 without losing my layouts/etc.

I have been a customer for 6 years, I don't have time for this stuff.

Thank You

Comment

JJOM,
                              Let me apologize for the problems you're having with eSignal crashing. I understand your frustration and I’ll do what I can to get you back up and going.

To uninstall eSignal please do the following;
                              Using the Windows Control Panel--> Add/Remove Programs – uninstall eSignal

After eSignal has been uninstalled remove the following files from the C:\Windows Directory

Winsig.ini
                              Winros.ini
                              Reader.ini

Most of the above information can be found at this URL. http://kb.esignalcentral.com/article...ticle=1626&p=1

I don’t recommend using the same layout/page when rolling back to a previous version as I’ve seen many times where formatting errors occur when opening the layouts.

My suggestion: Instread of deleting the eSignal directory in the C:\Program File rename the Folder to eSignalold. This way you still have the files. Which you can move into the new eSignal folder. Once you have all the items you would like out of the folder then you have the options of deleting it if you like.

Go to www.esignal.com/executables\eSignal_80r2.exe download and install version 8.0

Once you’ve installed eSignal 8 try opening the old layouts by going to Page-->Layout-->Open Layout. Navigate to the eSignalold and find the layout you would like to open.
                              If you recieve the error you at least can rebuild the layouts without having to recreate the Quote Window(s), and you will also be able to retrieve custom EFS files.

You can also contact Technical Support for assistance with this above instructions if you are not comfortable doing them.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

AveryH
                              eSignal Support

Comment

Working...
                              X