Maintaining Computer Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintaining Computer Performance

After reading about folks with better computers than I who are having performance issues with Esignal, I decided to sit down tonight and share with this board some of the things I do to keep my PC in tip top shape.

I am not a computer guru by any means but I have been an enthusiast since 1983. When I read about performance issues on here I wonder about an individuals setup more than I wonder about Esignal working right so here are a few tips that work for me:

1) Wireless is slow and problematic for traders. Wireless routers, keyboards, or mice should be replaced with a wired version. Especially wireless routers, there are to many things that can impede a wireless router, plus they aren't very
    secure. So if you are on a wireless anything, get wired. And if you are wired but your router is an older model, consider upgrading to a newer router as the new technology handles broadband much better.

2) Defrag your computer often as this will help overall performance.

3) I use a registry repair program once a week to clean up my registry. When I ran this program for the first time, the erformance increase was quite noticeable.

4) When upgrading the OS, don't upgrade. Instead, do a full install.

5) Try to have a computer just for trading.

6) Stop all unnecessary programs from running in the background. These are generally seen in the system tray (lower
    right) I have a clock, volume control, and Esignal, that's it.

7) Clean the inside of your computer with compressed air. I haven't tried the compressed air in a can so I don't know if
    they work, instead I use an air compressor, set at 90 psi, to blow all the dust and pet hair out of the case at least once a year.
    Your computer will run cooler and cooler is better.

As with any trade, tools that are properly maintained will work better and make your life easier. I hope this helps some of the readers of this board!

Happy Trading!
Working...
X