time templates for sub 1-minute charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time templates for sub 1-minute charts

Is there any way of going to the start of all available data on a sub 1-minute chart (I'm using 10s charts at the moment) without scrolling to the left about 100 times for each chart/product you want to look at?

time templates for sub 1-minute data

It seems that time templates do not work for sub 1-minute charts (I'm currently using 10s charts). So in order to view and run backtest strategies and studies on all available data (about 40 days it seems) I have to scroll the screen about 100 times. Is there any way of pre-loading this data so that I don't have to do this for each symbol I look at?

Comment

Re: time templates for sub 1-minute charts

naples99
      In the Time Template create a User Defined entry for the tick based interval you want by using the corresponding letter for the Interval field [ie S for seconds-bars, T for tick-bars, V for volume-bars etc] and then set the # Days [or # Bars] you want to load [note that at this time tick-based data is available up to a maximum of 10 days - see this article in the eSignal KnowledgeBase for more information)]
      You may also want to see the example shown in this article in the eSignal KnowledgeBase on Time Templates
      Alex

Originally posted by naples99
      Is there any way of going to the start of all available data on a sub 1-minute chart (I'm using 10s charts at the moment) without scrolling to the left about 100 times for each chart/product you want to look at?

Comment

From the main menu, select "Tools->Go To Date...". You can jump back in time as many days as you like in 1 operation.

Plus, you can temporarily compress your time on the X-axis by left-clicking your mouse in the date/time area at the bottom of the screen and drag your mouse to the right. Then left-click and drag your mouse in the actual chart.

Personally, I use either T-based or V-based charts for scalping rather than seconds-based charts. That way, new bars are formed only if there are enough transactions or volume from transactions produced.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

However, I have tried the time template as suggested and it does not work for anything less than 1 min data. You still have to scroll to the left to get more data added. This is proven if you attempt to run a backtest - it won't look at any more data than you have 'scrolled to'.

Regarding the other suggestion, the 'Go To Date' function does not work for sub-minute data. At least it doesn't on the version I'm using anyway.

Comment

naples99
            At my end it appears to be working [see enclosed screenshots]
            Alex

Originally posted by naples99
            Thanks for the replies.

However, I have tried the time template as suggested and it does not work for anything less than 1 min data. You still have to scroll to the left to get more data added. This is proven if you attempt to run a backtest - it won't look at any more data than you have 'scrolled to'.

Regarding the other suggestion, the 'Go To Date' function does not work for sub-minute data. At least it doesn't on the version I'm using anyway.

Comment

Hi Alex,

I tried your method again but used a capital S instead of small s and it works as you said it should. Case-sensitive things pop up when you least expect them!

So problem sorted for now I think - and I can get data back 40 days, why is this if the 10s bars are constructed from tick data which only goes back 10 days??

Thanks Alex

Comment

Alex and Steve's suggestions work fine for me.

Was able to request 5 days of 10s data for "6E H0" (Euro currency contract, which trades 23 hours per day).

This is a lot of data - it took several minutes before the status changed from "Receiving..." to "OK".

Comment

Working...
                X