Need border in chart when scrolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need border in chart when scrolling

I know there are many traders who scroll way back on a chart and then scroll forward one bar at a time when testing something. Like Bar Replay. In 10.6 that works fine as there is a space of about 2mm between the current bar and the y-axis. But in 11 the last bar can merge with the border of the y-axis making it very hard to see, and even go under it leaving the price cursor showing the price of that bar. This makes this type of scrolling for testing impossible.

jay
    Attached Files

Jay,

Thanks for the suggestion. The easiest way to work with this is to add one bar buffer along the y-axis. This will ensure that the axis doesn't interfere with the bar. This can be done in the Chart Properties under the Scales section... specifically the Right Margin box.
    Regards,
    Jay F.
    Product Manager

Comment

Hi Jay,

Thank you for the reply. Have never been able to get this to work though.

Actually I have always set the right margin to 2 bars, and it works fine for the current chart. However, as soon as you scroll backwards, or drag the chart to the right, or use Go To Date, that margin is no longer maintained and the last bar on the chart merges with or goes under the y-axis. In 10.6 you can scroll, drag, or even kick it and that 2mm margin is maintained keeping the last bar clearly in view.

In the attached I scrolled back with the right margin set at 10 bars.

It looks as though there's a dead space to the left of the y-axis border in 10.6(left image) that keeps the last bar from merging.

jay
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jay60; 07-21-2011, 01:33 AM.

Comment

I understand what you are saying now. I will discuss this with our developers to see how feasible this is.
        Regards,
        Jay F.
        Product Manager

Comment

Originally posted by JayF
          I understand what you are saying now.
          Sorry that I wasn't clearer the first time around. Guess I've been away from my native English far too long. Gotta go to Berlitz!!!

Thank you for looking into this,
          jay

Comment

Possibly, it might be better to specify the Margins in Pixels rather than bars which would make the Margins time scale independent.

~Bob

Comment

Absolutely agree with what Jay60 is saying. In 10.6 it was much easier to forward test - now virtually impossible.

Comment

This isn't something that we are going to change at this time. It is possible to scroll backwards and forwards one bar at a time using the arrow keys on the keyboard.
                Thank you,
                Eric O.
                eSignal Support

Comment

Originally posted by eostrom View Post
                  This isn't something that we are going to change at this time. It is possible to scroll backwards and forwards one bar at a time using the arrow keys on the keyboard.
                  No disrespect, but I think you are not understanding what Jay60 and I are trying to say. As Jay60 has showed with charts, when you scroll to the left, the rightmost bar is half visible on the right border, unlike in eSignal 10.6 where you get a clean border. We are not disputing the fact that you can scroll back and forth. We are saying the right border should be clean and not show half a candle.

Comment

If you press "Home" first on your chart and then scroll left or right using your keys you will always only have a full candle visible. The reason this happens is because you can manually scroll your chart using the mouse, less than a candle. This was done for smooth scrolling.
                    Thank you,
                    Eric O.
                    eSignal Support

Comment

If you press "Home" first on your chart and then scroll left or right using your keys you will always only have a full candle visible. The reason this happens is because you can manually scroll your chart using the mouse, less than a candle. This was done for smooth scrolling.
                      Wow! Yes, that works perfectly! Thank you! That's exactly what I was after.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ds.GIF
Views:	1
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	242828
                        Hi Eric,

This thread is quite old and I didn't know that the 'Home' function had been added. Thank you for the information.
                        That will work just as you said, but it seems that the problem remains if you drag the body of the chart, or use Go to Date, or adjust the chart after you have scrolled back. And you can't use the mouse.

You said this was done for smooth scrolling. And it's true that the scrolling was greatly improved from 10.6. But rather than the scrolling, wouldn't all of the above be solved if the dead space between the current bar and the border of the y-axis that we had in 10.6 was added? I think you can see how the grid line does not reach the y-axis as it does in 11. This dead space makes the current bar much more clearly visible as can be seen in the example,and also eliminates the need for setting the right margin chart to chart when used normally.

Thank you

Before I wrote the above I tried what you suggested and it worked fine when I scrolled back 1 day. However, I just tried it using Home > Ctrl + left arrow to go back 3 months and the bars fell under the y-axis and were not visible. It seems that if you use just the left arrow to scroll back, the chart stops with the last bar in full view. But if you want to go way back you need to use Ctrl, and sometimes the chart stops with only part of the bar in view or it's fully under the y-axis.
                        Last edited by jay60; 01-08-2013, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Please submit the ctrl + Left Arrow function as a bug. I don't believe this should have this issue. Thank you.
                          Thank you,
                          Eric O.
                          eSignal Support

Comment

Working...
                          X