Drifting Indicators?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting Indicators?????

I noticed when I use tick charts, especially lower tick charts such as 8 ticks, 25 ticks, etc., my indicators like moving averages and bollinger bands tend to drift as the chart updates.

Anybody experience the same or know what's going on?

Thanks.

Michael

Hi mdk,

Could you let me know what version of eSignal you are currently running? The release candidate is currently 7.7 build 664. I do remember this being an issue in earlier versions but it should have been fixed in the release candidate. Also, are you running any EFS studies on the chart in question? Please let me know. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Duane,

I am running 7.7 build 664 and the studies, if I understand what you are asking, are regularized ema's and bollinger bands.

Hope this helps. Thanks for you efforts.

Michal.

Comment

Hi mdk,

Thanks for the follow up. Since my last post, I've received a couple of PM's from different users who are experiencing the same sort of thing. I know that the engineers are re-visiting this issue to get it nailed down, but don't know the extent of the progress made thus far with development builds (hence my initial response). This issue has been getting progressively better with the recent builds and it is continually being reviewed and tweaked until we are able to consider it resolved. If I receive any new information regarding this, I'll pass it along. Thanks.

Comment

Hi mdk, hi DUANE,

the mentioned problem is in the queue to be addressed for quite a while.

check also this thread:

The problem can most easily be visualized by loading a tick chart and adding a moving average with a period of 1.

If drawn correctly this moving average should give a line going through all ticks.

However, in reality the moving average indicator will not be redrawn (i.e. move to the left) for for every incoming tick.

Instead it will stay in its last position FOR SOME TICKS WHICH ARE AT THE SAME PRICE LEVEL AS THEIR PREDECESSORS.

It seems that this indicator drift issue seems to be somehow related to the way an efs gets triggered by incoming ticks.

From my experience not every new incoming tick triggers the execution of the main() part. Only all new ticks with different prices and SOME TICKS AT the same price level trigger the execution of main.

The update of indicators in ticks charts seems to work similarly.

Some clarification of this behaviour and finally a solution for the drift problem would be highly appreciated.
          Axel

Comment

Axel
            You may want to read this post by JasonK on the subject
            Alex

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I think as long as I know it's being worked on, I can work around the problem. Hopefully, it will be fixed soon.

Michael.

Comment

OK. So I downloaded v7.7 build 679 and must say I was disappointed to find this problem was not fixed.

Here is my suggestion as a work-around: Create a REFRESH ALL option. This way, instead of having to refresh all the drifting indicators individually, one can do so with 2 clicks.

Having to refresh the entire chart is not acceptable as this can take too much time during active market conditions.

Just my 2 cents.

Michael.

Comment

We appear to have fixed the drifting issue in version 7.8, which was officially released yesterday.

Please download 7.8 today and let us know how it works for you.

Thanks.

Comment

Has this drifting problem been resolved yet? I am using Version 8 and I can't plot a moving average over a tickchart correctly. Is there an other way to plot this?

Thank you,
                    alex

Comment

alex
                      To my knowledge that issue was fixed with version 7.9.
                      What type of chart are you using (Bar, Renko, other)? Also what symbol(s), interval(s) and efs(s)?
                      This information may be useful to eSignal to replicate the problem you are reporting.
                      Alex

Comment

The problem is easy to dublicate:

Take a tickchart
                        under edit (study properties) choose line/tick
                        and check only trades, connect dots, show dots
                        (uncheck bid and ask)

add any moving average and..
                        ..it's drifting away

regards,
                        alex

Comment

alex
                          I am seeing that too and will pass the information to the developers.
                          In the mean time if you are not plotting the Bid/Ask you can resolve this by using 1T as the interval instead of T
                          Once you implement that change the studies should work correctly
                          Alex

Comment

Thank you Alexis,

it works nicely now

but it doesn't show the dots anymore. Is there a way to show these also?

Thank you,
                            alex

Comment

alex
                              You are most welcome.
                              The only way I can think of to draw the dots would be with an efs such as the (basic) example enclosed below
                              Alex

PHP Code:
                              function preMain(){

setPriceStudy(true);

setPlotType(PLOTTYPE_CIRCLE);

setDefaultBarFgColor(Color.black);

setDefaultBarThickness(2);

setShowCursorLabel(false);
                              }
                              function 
                              main(){
                                  return