Multiple Pages Open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Pages Open?

As a new user, I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this, but I couldn't find it in forums or the online help.

How do I keep multiple pages open to easily switch between them... similar to having multiple Workspaces open in TradeStation?

Hi lynndal,

Welcome to eSignal!

Based on others asking this question, the answer is both yes and no. You can create multiple pages and simply click on "Page" from the main menu to switch to other pages. Only one page is active at a time, though, and that's where it differs from the concept of workspaces (with multiple active pages). We have the migration to a workspace-like set-up in our development plans and you'll likely see it in production at some point in 2005.

As a new user, you may want to learn more about our Layout feature, as it differs from our Page set-up. Here's a KB Article that explains the differences.

Thanks.

Comment

I am also a new user with the same problem, I run approximately 18 charts at any given time. I found that I could launch e-signal up to 3 times by clicking on the e-signal icon, this would give me in effect 3 pages open at the same time. However I am encountering some RAM usage problems and was wondering if anyone knows how much RAM 3 active e-signal pages would use, with a total of 12, 15 min candlestick charts, with MA's and trendlines and 6 15min line charts with no indicators or drawn objects.
      Any help advice or suggestions appreciated.
      Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

Comment

Use MemTurbo II to Reclaim Memory

Thanks for the tip. I'll use it a lot!!! But I still can't wait for the multiple pages within a page feature due out in 2005!!

Yes many things use up memory. I find Snagit is the the biggest memory hog! So I reclaim unused memory with MemTurbo II. It montiros my memory usuage and when it's low I go reclaim memory that's no longer being used by other programs but is still tied to those programs.

Best wishes

Chip

Comment

FWIW eSignal does not recommend running multiple instances of the application (see this article in the eSignal KnowledgeBase)
          Alex

Comment

Multiple Pages open

Thanks for the replies everyone.

It looks like it isn't currently possible to have multiple pages open at the same time with eSignal, but that next year may see that change.

Scott... FWIW... the reason I'm so interested is not that I haven't figured out how to switch saved pages fairly easily. The reason is that I follow the 6 major FOREX currencies with a program that generates buy and sell signals. Unless the chart is open the signals aren't generated. I need to be able to have all six open in the event a signal is generated. I'm sure many others could use this feature and I'm looking forward to seeing it asap.

Thanks.

Lynndal

Comment

Hi,

Moving to a format the supports multiple pages or layouts will make eSignal even easier to use. In the meantime, most customers experiment with the use of pages or layouts (see article previously referenced), pop-out windows, and many use 2-4 monitors.

Thanks.

Comment

Thanx for the article Alexis, fwiw I have 1 Gig of RAM onboard and am able to run 3 instances of esignal pages, though as i am also new to xp I have no idea how much RAM I am using, still trying to workout how to see that, but while not an ideal situation seems to work ok.

Comment

I recently upgraded to v7.7 and it is a memory hog compared to v7.6.

With v7.6, I could open e-mail, my IB trading workstation (didn't like the integrated eSignal IB piece), three instances of eSignal (never had a problem running simultaneous copies), eSignal Text Manager, MS Excel, MS Money, several web browsers, and even my Nikon View software for digital imaging.

With v7.7, I start e-mail, IB trading workstation, three instances of eSignal, and then get memory errors when trying to load MS Money. No web browsers will open.

My PC is a 3.2Ghz P4 with 1GB RAM and over 100GB free hard drive space, I use two 19" flat screen monitors.

I've since un-installed v7.7. I may try configuring all pages into one instance of eSignal, but I definitely will not be able to get all on the screen that I have now (which includes the IB trading workstation). It took quite a long time to get my eSignal v7.6 the way I like it, v7.7 will take longer and may still have the memory issues.

Comment

dlewisfl,

I suspect something more subtle may be going on in your case. We already have over 10,000 users on 7.7 and I haven't seen any reported pattern of CPU or memory problems from customers upgrading. You might want to post your layout to File Share so we (or others) can test it as well. If you find what's causing the problem, we'd appreciate any follow-up information you can share.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi dlewisfl, and e-Signal support, I am familiar with this problem and I have a feeling it is not a memory problem at all, which incidently I had first thought it was. I run a 1 Gig system also I was using 3 instances of eSignal open, couple of web pages, about 18 charts and my brokerage platform. I now have an independant memory monitor which is telling me that I have around 550 MB RAM available but when I tried to open any other aplications they refused to open. Also right click features in the charts were erratic and often didn't work. I found that by closing one instance of eSignal, even though I added all the other charts into one of the two remaining eSignal pages seemd to cure the problem. Since eSignal is not designed to be run with multiple instances open I think it is this that is causing the problem.

Try shutting one instance of eSignal and see how you go.
                      Last edited by dhunniford; 12-03-2004, 03:05 PM.

Comment

This is a tuning issue, see:

http://forum.esignalcentral.com/show...threadid=10751

Increasing desktop heap should fix it...

denali

Comment

multiple pages / layouts

still waiting for this eSignal-Version wich would support multiple pages or layouts, similar to TradeStations-Workspaces - "promised" in this thread for 2005... Or did I miss the activation of this feature?

Ron

Comment

Working...
                          X