Data ManagerAutomatic ISP detection bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data ManagerAutomatic ISP detection bug

A bug has appeared under the following scenario: two paths to connect to the data server with one a backup being StarBand satellite delivered ISP available through the LAN and the other a Multilink set of 3 modems on dialup analog telco phone lines on the same computer as eSignal applications.

If the dialup path is routinely disconnected the Data Manager looks for an alternate. Finding the StarBand ISP through the LAN it attempts connection, but reports another user is connected. This locks the Data Manager in the error mode until it is stopped and then restarted manually with the eSignal application.

However, the reverse scenario of automatically switching from the StarBand LAN feed to the local dialup feed is flawless without errors.

(Posted earlier in ActiveX Development, but probably not appropriate there)

Starband

Hi Liam,

You may need to wait till Monday when some tech support people show on up the forums for your problem. PCs often get confused when there are multiple ISP connection choices.

Is Starband the satellite ISP provider? How is that working for you? The comments I have seen before are mixed.
    Chuck
    @eSignal

Comment

Re: Reply to post 'Data ManagerAutomatic ISP detection bug'

Re: StarBand mixed reviews ... I would not want to spoil StarBand's "mixed
      review" impression ... It is reliable now and broadband, but not wonderful
      for streaming data, such as market real time. The StarBand system is
      designed for efficient browsing type data management and that management can
      mean pauses in the flow for 7 seconds or more with the usual worst delay
      being about 5 seconds in any minute sample. Normal, expect un-patterned
      variations from 1 to 2 seconds 75 % of a minute and the rest longer, as an
      estimate.

However, for someone not needing low latency data in the range of 100 ms to
      500 ms, then StarBand is a good way to get good broadband internet access.

An alternate method for low latency with wider bandwidth than what a single
      analog telco copper wire connection delivers is to bond two or more phone
      pair in "Multilink" configuration (check Windows Help using "Multilink")
      My setup has 3 dialup phone lines Multilinked.

Thanks for the reply about connection confusion. My experience so far is
      that eSig's new ActiveX tool for TS2000i is superior to three alternatives
      I've recently tested. (which simply crashed) I suspect the confusion has a
      simple solution, since it remains consistenly unconfused going from the LAN
      connected StarBand to the local connected Multilink dialup pathway. Just
      not the other way.

Liam
      ----- Original Message -----
      To: <[email protected]>
      Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 11:23 AM
      Subject: Reply to post 'Data ManagerAutomatic ISP detection bug'

>
      > Hello liamk,
      >
      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      >

Comment

Re: Data ManagerAutomatic ISP detection bug

Liam,

In hopes to get to the bottom of this, could you duplicate the problem on your side, and send me the approximate time (and time zone)? This will assist our developers research the issue further.
        Regards,
        Jay F.
        Product Manager

Comment

The modems connected to the dialup ISP about 15:03

at 15:04:06 PDT the Data Manager attempted to switch away from I-Net server through StarBand via the LAN and to I-Net through the Multilink (3 bonded modems) dialup source on the local host.

The error message is:

I-Net: "Another User with Username Connected (2 User) (50 SymeSignal Data Manager Operating Normally
          NewsServer: Shutdown

in red text ... reception NODATA password NONE

at 15:10 the condition remains

at 15:12 the dialup connection was disconnected. The LAN remains open with the StarBand ISP available to the Data Manager.

Data Manager at 15:15 remains in the NODATA reception mode. Once this mode is entered, only a shutdown of Data Manager will normalize the operation

at 15:17:05 shutdown DataManager and restarted DataManager shortly after. By 15:17:51 DataManager has connected to the I-Net feed via StarBand through the LAN.

While you're solving that one, figure out why a download using the new plug-in causes the vol to disappear from the vol window in TS2000i here. I note another user is seeing the same effect.

Liam

Comment

It might not be obvious in the post... the time zone is Pacific, same as
            eSig's Bay area addresses for the times of the Data Manager ISP switch test.

Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 3:55 PM

>
            > Hello liamk,
            >
            >

Comment

Originally posted by liamk
              While you're solving that one, figure out why a download using the new plug-in causes the vol to disappear from the vol window in TS2000i here. I note another user is seeing the same effect.
              I sent this over to TS Support to investigate. Hopefully, they can point us in the right direction.
              Regards,
              Jay F.
              Product Manager

Comment

Last night I found a 100% solution: Only download using the 1 tick box
                checked for the last download. Having others checked will screw up the vol
                window in a minutes based chart. Please pass this on to Support, as well.

Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 8:00 AM

>
                > Hello liamk,
                >
                >

Comment

Originally posted by liamk
                  The modems connected to the dialup ISP about 15:03

at 15:04:06 PDT the Data Manager attempted to switch away from...

The error message is:
                  Liam,

Our developers have tracked down the issue on our side that is causing this and are working to implement a solution. I don't have an ETA on this, but please know that it is coming soon. I believe the fix will be transparent to you (it is primarily a fix on the Connection Manager side), meaning all of a sudden the problem will go away without having to do anything. If I hear anything further, I'll let you know.

Appreciate you spending the time on getting these details together for us.
                  Regards,
                  Jay F.
                  Product Manager

Comment

Good news. Interestingly, the Data Manager made the transition from dialup
                    to LAN/StarBand successfully today and back again when the dialup
                    reconnected.... in other words, exactly as one would hope.

However, I see that as of this moment when I shutdown the dialup, the Data
                    Manager has not found the LAN/StarBand ISP after several minutes. Time
                    here is 1:26 PM PDT

Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 2:16 PM

>
                    > Hello liamk,
                    >
                    >

Comment

Working...
                    X