• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Sessions candles open at different times

See pic.
    Carol
    Attached Files

Jay,
    Here's the server info - if it helps - for the prior post on "same" candles opening at different times in All Sessions this morning.

Carol
    Attached Files

Comment

CK,

The All Sessions (ETH) start time is different for NYSE and NASDAQ.
      So, counting from the different start times will give different bar sets.
      The time mappings are defined in the MktHours.INF file.

NASDAQ redefined their "official" times last year to...
      Pre-mkt 7:00-9:30
      RTH 9:30-16:00
      Post-mkt 16:00-20:00

NYSE makes no mention of a premarket session, and what's trading there is from other exchanges/ECNs. The definitions in MktHours is today as it's been for, like, forever. NYSE does mention a post-market session.
      Pre-mkt 8:00-9:30
      RTH 9:30-16:00
      Post-mkt 16:00-18:30

In your example..
      7:00 start +55+55=8:50 for GOOG
      8:00 start +55=8:55 for POT

The MktHours file can be coded to have any time mappings.

Jay...perhaps changing NYSE to an ETH start of 7:00 would be desirable, if for no other reason than to give symmetry to All Sessions bar start/stop times for both NYSE and NASDAQ for intervals that are "not standard", that is they don't divide into 60 or multiples of 60 with an integer result? And yep, there will be additional blank space for most NYSE syms that have little if any pre-market trading.

LAM

Comment

Larry,
        Thanks for the info on ETH. As long as I've been trading, I never knew that and honestly I never really noticed it in the candles. It just kind of jumped up at me this morning and I figured it was a bug.

Your explaination makes sense and the reco makes even more sense.

Thanks,
        CK

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Marchman
          Jay...perhaps changing NYSE to an ETH start of 7:00 would be desirable, if for no other reason than to give symmetry to All Sessions bar start/stop times for both NYSE and NASDAQ for intervals that are "not standard", that is they don't divide into 60 or multiples of 60 with an integer result? And yep, there will be additional blank space for most NYSE syms that have little if any pre-market trading.

LAM
          I'm torn on this. On one hand I've generally been in the camp of using the official exchange hours for the default session times. On the other hand, if the majority of users prefer to align the NYSE and NASDAQ pre-market sessions, then we should make that change. One additional option is to keep things as is and those that wish to have the alignment can use a MktHours.UNF to do so... Although that solution has maintenance associated with it.

I'm curious as to what other QCharts users think... Do any users have a preference one way or the other?
          Regards,
          Jay F.
          Product Manager

Comment

Working...
          X