6.0.2 feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.0.2 feedback

6.0.2 installed just fine (even though it asked me to close firefox for some reason?)

- When I first rebooted and fired up QC, I got an error "local eSignal Data Mgr unable to connect...." that popped up once then disappeared. Haven't seen it since through multiple reboots and restarts.

- Performance is not perceptibly different for me from the last 6.x release. I built a very fast machine (E6850 3.0GHz core 2 duo) to run 6.x, so I don't notice any improvement in 6.0.2. If anything, loading multiple intraday charts when switching symbols may be a little slower in after hours. (see packet analysis below for a possibility)

- There still seems to be an issue of random intraday charts showing up blank when a new symbol is loaded. The chart stays blank as long as that symbol is cached. If you go away from that symbol for x period of time and come back, the chart will work properly. I did some packet sniffing when this occurred and data packets were flowing normally for that chart.... so I suspect the bug is in the display rather than the underlying data feed. My workaround is to either go away from that symbol for a few minutes and come back... or close and restart qcharts.

- There are still *lots* of TCP errors during the initial load of a workspace and particularly when a new symbol is loaded. I suspect this is the major reason for a delay in going from one symbol to the next in a quote sheet. I see a lot of "TCP previous segment lost" "TCP duplicate ACK" and "TCP out of order" indications during these transitions. Otherwise during a steady state when everything is quiet, the packets look pretty good. I have wireshark captures saved if anyone at eSignal happens to care. ????

- wireshark also sees some poorly formed TCP packets and other errors that aren't related to performance issues.

- also, why do you guys use already-assigned TCP ports (2190, 2198 and 2199 to name just a few, which are tivoconnect, onehome-remote, and onehome-help)? Stepping on already-registered ports could cause bizarre application issues or system crashes for some users.... IMO it's a pretty amateur mistake that would be expected from someone who was new to protocol development. See http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers for reference. You should really register your common management ports with iana (and not step on ones already registered.)

- I haven't noticed any hangs or crashes in 6.0.2 *yet*... but I only saw them maybe once or twice a week with the last release.

- nit: option chain doesn't automatically update with each new symbol. i.e. say I'm looking at aci and click option chain... close the chain, load new symbol goog. Select chain again... it still shows ACI instead of goog. More of a hassle than anything.

- nit: it looks like with each release of 6.x, the option montage gets more and more restrictive on how many options are listed. Is there any way to open this up to be kitchen sink like 5.1 was. That was kind of nice to be able to see all options with a single click. Yeah, you can do it with the option chain, but it's more of a hassle.

- nit: quote sheet and option montage, it shure would be nice if format-auto size-width, etc was sticky so each time you loaded a new montage or quote sheet you didn't have to shrink it down.

That's all the free testing you'll get out of me today.

Hope this helps,
    lugz
    Last edited by lugnutz; 04-02-2008, 07:52 AM.

Continued Disappointment

I have not posted to this site before, but I have appreciated all the detailed input and suggestions the subscribers of QCharts have provided. I made the transition to 6.02 as requested, but I continue to be incredibly frustrated by how slow QCharts operates and the frequency with which it locks up AS IT HAS DONE AGAIN AND AGAIN THIS MORNING! I have plenty of juice to operate my computer. In fact I added another 1.5 mb of RAM this week to hopefully aid in minimizing any QCharts problems. While I appreciate the issues and problems QCharts is having in resolving the language and routing issues, this is unacceptable. For those of us that like to trade at the opening or in times of market turmoil, I cannot do so when the data is not available.....locking up because of the overload of data generated in a big volume/trading day - like today. I have not used 5.1 in any significant way in a good while and it is very time consuming to try and maintain multiple workspaceswen they require different symbols/don't transfer directly. Please advise the reasonable timeframe that these issues will be resolved as I may need to make chart provider service changes until these issues are resolved. I do not perceive 5.1 a reasonable alternative since Qcharts has said the servers will be closed soon AND there are concerns of data integrity. I am not a person that rails at the problem for the sake of railing, but I need to know what to expect so I can make an informed decisions. I have a huge commitment in the workspaces I've created on QCharts, but if it doesn't work/can be used with confidence, what choice do I have but to change providers. I look forward to a QCharts repsonse. Thanks you.
    Margaret Woolard

Comment

memory use

Another observation after running 6.0.2 for a while....

This software drinks memory like it was Bojangles sweet tea. Holy smokes!

Doing some really basic characterization, it looks like on a stable system where you aren't loading new charts the memory use/leak is minimal, but when you start loading new (i.e. non-cached) symbols into multiple charts, the memory starts flying away. Poof gone!

In 60 minutes going through 100 symbols last night, system memory use went from 678MB up to 1820MB.

Market hours vs after market hours doesn't seem to make any difference.

Systems without a lot of memory (say less than 2GB) will likely start to swap memory to/from disk and have really horrible, degraded performance after a while.

Workaround is to exit and restart qcharts, which frees the leaked/used memory. Some users may need to do this as often as every 25-50 symbols viewed. Yuck.

lugz

Comment

Child Window Title Bars

The information in the child window title bars reverts back to default occasionally. ie: you can set a preference for the name of the security to show at the first of the title, and then some charts will return to default with "NASDAQ" showing.

Also, about once a day, the 10min chart will switch to a daily or a weekly time frame, but this is a known bug.

I'm now using 6x.2 exclusively during the day and adding 5.1 at 3:30 for my much-needed quote sheet goodies (which I keep praying for) but, not yet available in beta.

Thanx, Jay and Mike, for all your hard work.

'Tail.

Comment

Further information on the chart child windows and interval-switching for 6.0.2 Beta:

1. When typing in a new symbol the Interval window cycles through all of the open chart times that the user has in the workspace and sometimes, while doing so, the 10min and the 60min charts get changed to whatever. The charts can be inhibited by switching the chart interval button to red, but, for obvious reasons, users like to default it to gray or green, which actually enables the self-switching. Version 5.1 does not have the cycling problem.

2. Another anomaly while typing in new symbols is that the "Auto Scale Price And Studies" radio button returns to default shutting itself off of its own accord. Version 5.1 does not have this problem.

3. Child window titles returning to default and having to be reset
          to user default is an minute by minute reaccuring problem when checking symbols in quick seccession. Version 5.1 does not have this problem.

I'm very happy with the speed and accuracy of the Beta.

Thanx,

'Tail.
          Last edited by hardtaill; 05-01-2008, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Alright, since we're keeping this thread alive....

Another gripe I have about 6.x is the price discrepancies after the market closes. Frequently the price in a quote sheet differs from the final price in an intraday chart which may also differ from the price in a daily or weekly chart. This has probably been covered already in the sticky thread about data errors; I just figured it would have been fixed by now.

For example: market is closed and FFH right now shows:
            306.25 in the quote sheet
            301.00 in the daily and weekly charts
            303.32 in the intraday charts
            (and no, "All Sessions" is not checked in any of the charts or quote sheets, so they shouldn't be picking up afterhours data)

lugz

Comment

Jay,

For 6.0.02:

Would it be possible to look into the TickVolume issue in the option quote sheets? When bringing in a new symbol the TickVolume merely updates from the start of the request and never displays accurate information as to the total number of ticks unless the sheet has been open all day.

This has been reported before, but maybe set aside for other more important reasons. Other than this and the lack of other goodies, I like the beta.

'Tail.

Comment

Ji Jay,

I have a workspace that includes a Quote Sheet with 18-20 front month $NDX option symbols. Once in a while (once or twice a week), when I open that workspace, I get no prices for each of those options symbols on the quote sheet and the option title is "NDY QT (Looking up..)" (as one example).

Closing QCharts and DM and then reopening the workspace usually fixes this. Today I had to close and reopen twice.

Can this be fixed?
                Tom

Comment

couple of seconds delay in price?

My understanding is that 6.0.2 is not throttling data. Any reason why prices in 6.0.2 are a few seconds behind those I receive from multiple brokers? I use three different brokers, and their prices change simultaneously, whereas the prices on 6.0.2 seem to be delayed by 2 or 3 seconds. Not all the time, but often enough that it's noticeable.

Comment

Re: Continued Disappointment

Hello Margaret and other QCharts users frustrated by the critical data feeds problem (time lag/inaccurate stock price).

I've started using QCharts 6.0.2 a couple of month ago, it's the first time to post a message on this forum.

I'd like to say same things about the QCharts problem as this feedback from Margaret.

Has anyone already gotten an official comment/reply from eSignal on this?

Basically I like QCharts features/look and feel, I think it's sophisticated/still one of the best "charting" software, I'd like to continue to use if the problem is resolved shortly or if I can get a reply from eSignal about fesibility for resolution in reasonable timeframe.

I've been using Realtick and some other trading platform/chart software, QCharts gives me complementary charting windows.
                    I'm using a couple of PCs with Athlon 3200+ 2GB mem connected thru fiber-optic.

I can't time how many seconds or minutes in a realtime mannner though, but I look at time lag in a several sec to one min range quite often thru comparison with other trading platforms. I think it got worse to happen very frequently over the last two weeks. its time lag is too long/dangerous for active intraday traders.

I made a call to the tech support division and got advice to delete temp folders and updated with "CleanRegQC". It seems it's fixed for a while at that time though, the same data feed problem is still happening.

I downloaded QChart ver 5 this week and tried it, the footprint is small/light compared to ver 6 but the data feeds seem to be slower.

QCharts 6xx is running with eSignal Data Manager, so I'm wondering whether we see this data feed problem even with eSignal or maybe there's difference of servers capacity alloted for QChars.

I've started evaluation of some different charting software with data feeds from different providers, I'm thinking I'll decide to leave QChats and data feeds thru eSignal or not in a couple of weeks.

I also look forward to a QCharts repsonse on this matter/feasibility for resolution.

k11

Originally posted by piperswife1
                    I have not posted to this site before, but I have appreciated all the detailed input and suggestions the subscribers of QCharts have provided. I made the transition to 6.02 as requested, but I continue to be incredibly frustrated by how slow QCharts operates and the frequency with which it locks up AS IT HAS DONE AGAIN AND AGAIN THIS MORNING! I have plenty of juice to operate my computer. In fact I added another 1.5 mb of RAM this week to hopefully aid in minimizing any QCharts problems. While I appreciate the issues and problems QCharts is having in resolving the language and routing issues, this is unacceptable. For those of us that like to trade at the opening or in times of market turmoil, I cannot do so when the data is not available.....locking up because of the overload of data generated in a big volume/trading day - like today. I have not used 5.1 in any significant way in a good while and it is very time consuming to try and maintain multiple workspaceswen they require different symbols/don't transfer directly. Please advise the reasonable timeframe that these issues will be resolved as I may need to make chart provider service changes until these issues are resolved. I do not perceive 5.1 a reasonable alternative since Qcharts has said the servers will be closed soon AND there are concerns of data integrity. I am not a person that rails at the problem for the sake of railing, but I need to know what to expect so I can make an informed decisions. I have a huge commitment in the workspaces I've created on QCharts, but if it doesn't work/can be used with confidence, what choice do I have but to change providers. I look forward to a QCharts repsonse. Thanks you.

Comment

Hello All,

Our development team is continuing its efforts on improving QCharts 6.0 for a release as soon as possible. They are focusing on the highest priority items for this next release which includes the following:

1. Excessive CPU Usage
                      2. Memory Inefficiencies & Cache Handling
                      3. Intraday Charts Fill Speed
                      4. Option Chains are Missing Sporadically
                      5. Transferring Lines/Alerts from 5.1 to 6 -- Symbol Translation

Our goal is to have a beta version out for QCharts 6.0.3 before the end of the month. Disclaimer: Please remember this is only an estimate and may be subject to change.

QCharts 6.1 is also still in process from the server development stand-point. 6.1 will include many of the long-requested items such as extended historical data, sector lists, market stats (Breadthalizers) and the return of
                      many data fields like Vol@Bid, Block Trades, etc. all sourced from the eSignal network.
                      Regards,
                      Jay F.
                      Product Manager

Comment

Running QC 6 and QC 5

I have been holding on to my QCharts 5.***, but decided that it was time to get back to looking at QCharts 6.***.

The last time I tried running both versions of QCharts I was able to run 5 on one machine and 6 on another. However, now when I try to do that I knock myself off of the other computer. Has something changed that we can no longer run 5 and 6 at the same time on different computers?

Thanks

Comment

More information on the charts changing time values:

Remember how the Expression bar sometimes cycles through all the chart times as the program brings in a new symbol, and then the 10min chart switches to a different time interval?

I changed the 60min chart to a 59min chart and the 10min chart switches to a 59min chart.

It seems as though the lower value intervals switch, sometimes, to whatever the higher value intervals are set for. Maybe the team could stop the program from cycling through the various time intervals as some of us have quite a few different charts with different intervals at high values.

'Tail.

Comment

this week....

Hi JayF,

Thank you for the comment/info. Look forward to seeing those things soon. This week, the data feeds it's been smooth / seems no time lag happened. I'm happy with it.

k11

Comment

vista compatibility?

Jay,

Will the newer versions of 6.0 run on Windows Vista without using the XP compatibility mode?

Comment

Working...
                              X