QCharts 5.1.0.21 suddenly running out of memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QCharts 5.1.0.21 suddenly running out of memory

I was on vacation for a week and suddenly workspaces that worked July 11 now are returning an out of memory error. Normally, QCharts was using about 9-16 MB of memory when using these workspaces according to task monitor.

Now I am seeing 46-49 MB of memory and it it running out of memory.

Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem might be? This is very strange.
    Eric Boehm

Hi Eric,

Well, actually, what's strange to me <grin> is that you're saying that normally QCharts was using 9-16 MB with workspaces loaded. It's been nominal for me to see 18MB "in memory...physical memory" when starting to a blank workspace. That's with no symbols or charts or anything at all. It's not unusual for me to hit 50MB with my production workspace, and I've seen higher with other folks that have larger workspaces (the infamous tire builder workspace), and haven't considered these numbers to be problematic.

Just what is telling you "out of memory". This message from your operating system? A utility program? QCharts? What does task manager say regarding overall physical and committed memory in the "performance" tab?

LAM

Comment

Hi Larry,

It was a QCharts error. I was able to work around it by going to a backup of the workspace (it is one of those large tire builder workspaces). It was very strange behavior. I was seeing more normal memory usage this morning.

This evening, I did see QCharts take 17-18 MB with no workspace, no symbols. It went up to 79MB when I loaded the workspace. The weird part was that when I iconified QCharts and restored it, memory was down to 2MB and then only went to 12 MB. Very odd.

In any event, I have been able to find a way around the problem.
      I guess the workspace was somehow corrupted but I've never seen anything like that before.

Originally posted by Larry Marchman
      Hi Eric,

Well, actually, what's strange to me <grin> is that you're saying that normally QCharts was using 9-16 MB with workspaces loaded. It's been nominal for me to see 18MB "in memory...physical memory" when starting to a blank workspace. That's with no symbols or charts or anything at all. It's not unusual for me to hit 50MB with my production workspace, and I've seen higher with other folks that have larger workspaces (the infamous tire builder workspace), and haven't considered these numbers to be problematic.

Just what is telling you "out of memory". This message from your operating system? A utility program? QCharts? What does task manager say regarding overall physical and committed memory in the "performance" tab?

LAM
      Eric Boehm

Comment

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the follow up.

What you're seeing when you "iconified" QCharts, or in other words when you Minimized to Taskbar, is memory being dumped from RAM physical memory to the hard disk swap file. And then as needed, stuff will be dragged back from the hard disk to main memory. A lot of the stuff that's initially loaded into memory won't ever be needed, hence yes one will generally see less RAM after minimizing then restoring.

I really haven't decided if it's OK to dump to the swap file. I have noticed a higher volatility in RAM after minimizing/restoring as QCharts proceeds to run. Some inexplicable significant spikes up, then down, that quite frankly I haven't taken the time analyze fully. Since I have plenty of physical memory to spare, I decided a long time ago to never minimize, to try and not have my swap file in play. If I want apps to disappear from view, I hit Show Desktop in my Quick Launch toolbar. Curiously, Show Desktop doesn't cause a dump to the Swap file. This is relatively easy to observe with my system monitor TaskInfo ($hareware).

So, I guess I'm saying...whatever floats yer boat. Sorry for nothing more definitive.

LAM

Comment

Working...
        X