Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volumes

I'm using QCHarts 5.1

Volumes don't seem right. Example, ILMN shows a 65-day avg. of about 2.2 mil. But at this point (3:07 on 10/24), it shows 379,000 in today's volume.

Meanwhile, my trading platform shows a vol. of 2.7 million.

Can I trust QCharts volumes?

Bob

Hi Bob,

What you see during market hours as Volume is indeed what's so for 5.1. However, in 5.1 the number of trades(and associated volumes) are a subset of all trades. Shortly after the close, volume adjustment values are sent in the feed. These volume adjustments will show in the Daily bar and quotesheet/snapshot after close. The 65Day Average is based on the volume from the Daily bars, not from the actual diminished set of trades that come intraday.

The annotated screenshot here shows how comparing intraday data volumes with a 390 min chart vs Daily chart can illustrate the extent of the trade subset in 5.1.

What follows is somewhat rambling and perhaps off topic....

One may ask why is there a subset of trade transactions in 5.1. Over time, the total market trade rate has risen exponentially. Rather than upgrade the servers with more powerful machines that can handle a full set of ticks, eSignal has decided to leave the 5.1 infrastructure as is, and supply the 5.1 Continuum farms with a tick diminished feed from the data provider, a feed that the 5.1 servers can handle. This is in anticipation of QCharts Version 6 replacing 5.1 completely. QCharts 6 gets a full tick set from the eSignal data servers, a separate network altogether from the 5.1 Continuum network.

Over time I've observed the % of all possible ticks in 5.1 diminish from 100% to 80% to 60% to the current rough overall daily average of 20-25%, depending on symbol and overall market trade rate. The % can be lower around the open or close due to higher market trade rates, and lower overall on any given day. Does this render 5.1 not useable? Depends on one's needs. Is one a scalper or position trader? Instead of 5 ticks per second with full feed, can one get by on the diminished feed with one tick/sec or a tick every two secs, or whatever the tick rate may be at any given moment for any given symbol?

So far, I'm muddling through on 5.1 since I have running concurrently a separate set of broker quotes and broker T&S to compare with 5.1. Regretfully, I can't run my production workspace on Version 6 due to an inherent %cpu load issue in 6.0 running on an Intel P4. I have a new box coming shortly, so we'll see at that time if 6.0 is viable for my workspace on the new box.

HTH,

LAM
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Marchman
      I have a new box coming shortly, so we'll see at that time if 6.0 is viable for my workspace on the new box.
      Whoa! Larry, getting a new box? Cool beans, man! Would you care to divulge its specs or are you still tweaking them?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tradertom
        Whoa! Larry, getting a new box? Cool beans, man! Would you care to divulge its specs or are you still tweaking them?
        Tom
        Hey Tom,

Haven't ordered yet, so yeah, still researching/pricing/musing on the specific specs...ya know....dual or quad, etc.

Which reminds me that I should put together specific test case workspaces designed to progressively observe "thread spread", and hopefully get some dual and quad users to run it. Maybe tomorrow <grin>. But as long as we are at it, are you seeing what seems to be reasonable thread spread with 6.0.3.1379 on your quad core?

LAM

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Marchman
          ...are you seeing what seems to be reasonable thread spread with 6.0.3.1379 on your quad core?
          Larry,

I haven't tried the most recent betas due to time constraints and a couple of other reasons not worth diving into here. I am anxiously awaiting the next official release (The GOLD version mentioned around here on occasion)... Until then, I am using v6.0.2 throughout the trading day with no real problems.

My success with 6.0.2 comes from two factors... I never change symbols during the day (watching the index futures only) and I use another charting vendor with the v6 feed for the majority of my intraday, multiple stock monitoring activities... not an ideal situation and absolutely not a replacement for QCharts software but certainly more stable, no crashing, fast responses and more flexible than QCharts. The data feed from DM Version 10.0 build 390 is just fantastic in my opinion. When Jay and company get QCharts optimally working with the DM, I think everyone will be astonished and amazed. Just imho. So I await the GOLD version with high expectations! Sorry I'm not any help on the quad core threading metric for the latest betas... long answer to a short question!

Tom

(edit: thanks for deleting the dup post!)

Comment

OK. Thanks for the feedback.

Good Tradin' to you,

LAM

Comment

Larry, thanks for the explanation. Appreciate it.

Bob

Comment

You're welcome, Bob.

Regretfully, today (so far) the ticks are even more diminished than the nominal throttling.
                Here's a post from today on the issue in case you or other's missed it...
                http://forum.esignalcentral.com/show...654#post120654

LAM
                Originally posted by hamrinbb
                Larry, thanks for the explanation. Appreciate it.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                X