Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrong Symbols and Spikey Bollinger Bands--Would More Powerful Computer Fix This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong Symbols and Spikey Bollinger Bands--Would More Powerful Computer Fix This?

This week, since I upgraded to v1896, I am seeing that long-ago problem of the symbols switching. Yesterday it was SHLD, which when I clicked it showed the option for ABX. Today, $INDU was displaying the charts for CAT.

And, while I'm here on the forum I'll mention that Bollinger bands are constantly an ongoing problem no matter what version I use, spiking and going wacky. I like the 55-minute chart but rarely get to use it due to this problem. Even when I switch to a 60-minute chart this can happen.

If I upgraded my computer to the super-duper configuration listed in the Qcharts download section will these problems go away? Is it a computer thing or a Qcharts thing?

I LOVE Qcharts and appreciate the wonderful functionality it provides. The Qcharts tech support staff is world-class best. And thanks to you in this forum for your willingness to assist.

Hi,
    The Symbol Bleeding issue you reference is a known issue on the bug list. It will likely be rectified in the release of QCharts 7 later this year or early next year.

On the spikey BB issue - the thing I'd try first is trying to clear the TEMP folder. I'm not sure this will help but it's worth a try. There have been other users that have reported this - so this is somewhat of a known issue as well. But please try this:
    Log out of your QCharts and the eSignal Data Manager and navigate to your QCharts install folder (usually c:\Progam Files\QCharts\) and delete the contents of the TEMP folder that you will find in there. Then log back in.

On the computer configuration, you do need to be at least at the minimum spec as listed here:
    http://www.qcharts.com/download/default.asp#require
    But will the computer configuration fix the problems you reference? I doubt it. But having a computer that meets/exceeds the specs listed really does make QCharts run much better, especially during heavy market volume times. If you're currently on a P4 platform, I'd definitely invest in a new computer and I'd go for the fastest I could afford.

Personally, I run on a AMD Athlon 64 x2 (4200+) Dual Core with 2GB of RAM on Windows 7 Ult 64bit and Windows XP Pro 64bit (dual boot config), and it runs good.

As with most things computer - more power is always welcome. If I get to build a new box this year, it'll definitely be i7 and as fast as I can afford.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Hey Bill,

I wrote a simple batch file that clears my QCharts temp folder and deletes the CorpActs and MktHrs tab files that are often out of date. It is in my StartUp folder so these files are cleared upon reboot which happens after backup each night around 5am...

But shouldn't this be automatic? Why do we always have problems with residual TEMP files or out of date files? I would think it is a trivial matter to clear these files when QCharts starts or even once a day when QCharts is idle.

Thanks,
      Tom

Comment

Working...
      X