Switching Timeframes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching Timeframes

When I leave the ophthalmologist, it’s almost always a rude awakening and a sign that I’m getting older. The doctor has asked “better or worst” after several clicks of the lenses, and I finally say “better”. I am now faced with the fear that I will walk out looking like “Froggy” from the Little Rascals with my new glasses.

Deep inside, in a place where we holds secrets that we share with no one, we would have been much happier or felt much younger with our older and yet outdated prescription. We know that in order to see, we must go with the truth and get the lenses changed. The truth hurts, but we must move on.

Shortly after I made a 180-degree turn in my trading in ’95, I had a relapse. My next demon was changing timeframes. Plotting EST from a 5-min, and just as I was going to get stopped out, I took a look at the 15-min, the 30-min, back ten-days, and maybe even the daily. I would stop when the picture looked better. Many traders do that when they are in a trade that’s gone bad, and they don’t want to take the loss. You know you’ve taken the daytrade too far when you get the annual report in the mail.

Conversely, there are many traders that have tried to move up to the larger timeframes, in search of less stress and to stop the account from bleeding with losses spent on commissions. Instead of watching a 1-min, they move to 5 or 15 min timeframe. What happens more often than not is, they get very fidgety and trigger-happy, like a 5-year old boy who can’t sit still for 5 mins. They have been conditioned on the 1-min charts for so long, that they lose their patience and if they could, they’d drop some “speed” in Father Time’s coffee. That’s impossible, so they start dropping down timeframes.

If you are in either situation, you are on a path to stress, anxiety and or self-financial destruction. No different than putting on a pair of reading glasses if you don’t need them or not wearing your glasses for nearsightedness and then driving cross country at night.

Here’s how you can begin fighting this demon. First, ask yourself…”What is my primary timeframe?”

- Investing with weekly charts?
    - Swinging with dailys and or 60’s?
    - Daytrading with 15-min, 5-min?
    - Or drinking Red Bull and or Dunkin Donuts coffee and then trading the 1-min?

Whatever the answer is, make sure you’re honest and give it a REAL try. Let’s take daytrading with 15-min charts as an example.

- Start with the daily and know the significant pattern, trend, prices, MA(s), support, resistance, etc.
    - Drop down to the 60-min and repeat
    - Drop down to the 15-min and repeat
    - THEN STOP!!!
    - Predetermine, EST, RR, open it, manage, and close it
    - Done

Last week I put up a swing play on QCOM. http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showt...=5&pagenumber=3 Yes, folks I called this play as it was in progress. It was a “Scaling Swing” as I call it. When I scanned QCOM, the very first thing I did was look at the daily, because the smaller timeframe showed a more bullish tone. Going back to daily, I saw a completely different picture. I set my EST and had the discipline to stick it on this swing. After I was out, I proceeded to day trade the stock for the crumbs (very nice profits) after putting the bread on my kitchen table, very much like a cat bouncing a mouse around after he’s killed it, as if it will wake up so he can kill it again. I was criticized by a couple of folks on how I handled this trade; some felt I was “leaving too much money on the table and throwing up my own roadblocks”. This is not a jab at those premature and uninformed comments, and nice ET’rs but rather an example of a “lesson” I learned long ago: “Be conservative and selective in your risk, and if you are stopped you’ve only exhausted a small portion of your strength and resources and you can trade another day”. A friend of mine turned me on to the movie “Rounders”. Here’s that movie’s defining movie moment for me: Matt Damon is playing cards with “The Russian” (John Malcovich) and he wins (the last game). Go rent the movie and you’ll see exactly what I mean, besides, I don’t remember the character’s names.

I see trading in a couple of ways, “Poker playing (like the movie Rounders), and WAR!!! I scan and then predetermine my timeframe, entry, stop, target, and risk: reward ratio, and I deploy with conviction and discipline. They’re not taking these stocks private anytime soon, and if they do you’ll have plenty of notice. You CAN ALWAYS TRADE THEM AGAIN!!!

Research from the larger timeframe down to your main timeframe, plot your points, and deploy with conviction and discipline.
    “Those who don’t understand and respect history are doomed to repeat it and provide liquidity for those of us that do.”

Jai Ramoutar, Jr.
    www.tradingscience.com

Time Frames & switching views

Your article is quite interesting and the below comment is certainly the way to go, I guess you payed somewhere along the way for this lesson.

Research from the larger timeframe down to your main timeframe, plot your points, and deploy with conviction and discipline.

Ive been working with a timeframe problem in relation to which wave count / oscillator is in charge of the move, this moves across all timeframes.

if the trend has been labelled as the 10/70 by the oscillator what happens when the 5/35 count is relabelled. Does this mean then that one should abandon the 10/70 view and return to the 5/35 view.

To clarify a bit further,

lets assume that the Daily 5/35 has a uptrending 3 and 4 locked in, however the wave 4 retracement didnt meet the elliott requirements ie 90 - 140%. I would then move onto the 10/70 oscillator and wave count, now lets assume that this count fits the retracement requirements.

Ok so this view is the one in control for the time being, now a few days on the daily count that had the wave 4 turns into a new elliott downtrend that is supported by the 5/35

So the question now is, if the original view of the weekly that is supported by the 10/70 is still in control or should this be abandoned and the daily 5/35 view used.

Im having trouble finding which chart to work with, this problem is apparent in the different time views, ie say the 15 minute chart shows one view and then the 1 minute changes to a new wave count etc etc

Ive put this to Marc R. as well, Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Regards

Ainsley

Comment

>> You know you’ve taken the daytrade too far when you get the annual report in the mail.

Ouch! Yes, and a few dividend checks, too...

I've had a few of these experiences.

Thanks for the article! And, I look forward to your answer for Ainsley as well!

-c

Comment

Working...
      X