Elliot Wave... Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elliot Wave... Identification

I was wondering if anyone could link me to a site outlining the use of Elliot Wave analysis in daytrading. I know the basic principles but since I cannot afford GET I have no method of indentification.

Once I can actually trade profitably, I'll purchase GET once again.

Ok. I realize that the "Elliot Oscillator" is just a Price Oscillator. Now my question is what settings would work best for wave identification. I am currently using 10/40 SMA on a 1-min chart.

I'm also wondering how exactly the "breakout band" of the Elliot Oscillator is calculated.

Last edited by melteye; 02-12-2004, 10:33 PM.

Comment

GET is a nice tool, but Ralph Elliott was using Elliott Waves long before there were computers. There are many books on how to read Elliott Waves.

For starters try these;

Elliott Wave Principle by Frost and Prechter - ISBN 0-932750-43-5

Fibonacci Applications and Strategies for Traders by Robert Fisher - ISBN 0-471-58520-3

If money is an issue you should be able to get both of these through your local library.

Also search the Trading Strategies posts. There is a fair amount of EW stuff in there that can be helpful.

Comment

Melt

Rn Elliot is - by himself- really complicated to be traded.

Is really good you want to learn exactly how to count by hands the waves, but it is a really though job expecially if you like to do it on a short TF.

Albeit I wolud not advice the "c.....s" Frost & Pretchers, but rather the original RN elliot essays , articles etc in order to EXACTLY understand what he meant.

The Tom Joseph Osc in a cross of two sma at 5 and 35 period.
        The band are set at the 80% of the level of the Histogram and are MA too.

The cross of the two 5 35 MA indicate with a great extent of precision , the end of a W4.

But AGET is not only that. Is many other things, that let's you trade with the max confidence and capital preserving.

Honestly I would not do the path in the opposite way.

Good luck
        Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

I agree w/ Fabrizio...

If you are going to day-trade -- you're stepping into turbulent waters as your first shot. Maybe you should look to 'swing trade' -- a few 1-10 day hold times.

BUT, regardless, don't look at the cost. If you plan to make money at day trading, I assure you AGET will be the smallest cost (your commissions & spreads will be $$$ per month -- AdvGet will be a very small fee).

I've been an 'investor' for years but started 'trading' 6 months ago. Trying to figure out what was snake oil and what was not was / is the hardest part.

If I could do it again (having hindsight), I would pay to take the classes. I learned a lot of novel approaches in my trial-and-error -- but, I think I would have been profitable sooner and learned other of my 'novel' approaches over time, too.

Other than that -- as the other posts point out -- read about Fibonacci. There is a lot of value in it. But AGET really puts it in a useable system.

But, finally because you're probably as stubborn as me! <smile> One more thing to look at:
          As Fabrizio says, when you get a 5/35 pullback to ZERO, measure the height of the previous wave (last ZERO pullback) and see if it exceeds .62 on a fib retrace. That is -usually- a wave 3/4 and when you break a regression channel, that will be the start of your wave 5.

Advanced GET adds extra measurements / calculations on statistics, like:
          - WAVE channels showing % likelyhood of a next wave
          - PTI -- calculation of too much profit taking
          - Ellipse -- time vs. retracement to allow you to look at a time passage vs. price loss as an entry
          - MOB -- support/resistance to show targets
          - XTL -- (not elliott wave stuff) but helps get identify long wave 3's

Just to show some ewaves, oscillators in practice, here's ORCL.
          Attached Files

Comment

>> see if it exceeds .62 on a fib retrace

I mean: Should NOT exceed... Strong trends will not exceed .38.
            .5 is great.

More than that, it gets iffy...

Comment

BUT, regardless, don't look at the cost. If you plan to make money at day trading, I assure you AGET will be the smallest cost (your commissions & spreads will be $$$ per month -- AdvGet will be a very small fee).
              Melt , the wise words of soylent are "gold".

Just count how many ticks you should make a day in order to payback the monthly fee of 150$...

As well as Swing (could be a very good alternative too.)
              Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

Melteye,

My apologies. I should have warned you to ignore the advertisements in Prechter's book. Just extract the rules. Fabrizio has a point about "c.....s", whatever that means. If you can find them, the original works of RN Elliott would be very helpful.

Comment

Well... I have very little money to start with and AGET is $160/month. If you think it is a wise decision I will purchase it and eat less

Hmmm... Food or AGET...

Comment

Hi Melt --

Even more than purchasing AGET, I would recommend you take their class. (I did not -- but, I have been through their online seminars -- and, again, in hindsight, that was a costly mistake to not be properly prepared for what happens intraday). TRADING is not like anything else you will have experienced before and having a system and a teacher is well worth the price.

If you can't scrape up the course money, read EVERYTHING in the AGET downloads area by Marcus. And, put yourself in a dark room for 5 days and 'papertrade' 1,000 buy/sells using the bar-replay mode in ESIGNAL. When you can spot good setups and get > 50% right and take your stop-losses, and calculate profit targets and show a profit, you'll be ready for the real thing.

One last suggestion: Learn just ONE system. Ignore all other external influence. It's like playing golf: Change one thing and your entire game goes to 's..t'. (Is that how you spell it Fabrizio?<smile>)

Comment

complements of fabrizio:

R.N. ELLIOT's MASTERWORKS, the definitive collection" ISBN : 0-932750-37-0

You may want to do some reading and papertrading before you go without food. Going into battle unprepared is a good way to get killed.

That said, they are right that trading RT with EW is hard. GET can be of help.

Comment

My analysis was dead on this morning... But it just happened I couldn't fall sleep last night so I woke up late and missed a very easy move to catch! I could have easily made up for what I've lost

In the replay mode do all indicators work? I remember volume does not.

Comment

In tick replay you can have EVERITHINK working, even the Time & Sales and -indeed - paper trade. Probably not Volume .
                          Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

FWIW Volume does plot in Tick Replay
                            Alex

Comment

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                              X