Attaching Flat Screen Monitor to Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh,

Alex, I thought you were trying to point me to some unique way to tweak the resolution of my monitor to something other than it was designed to do. I'm aware of the way to make the change you showed me. I thought you might know where I could get the software drivers to change the resolution.

As BKuerbs alluded below, TFT monitors are usually designed the only run in their native mode, which in this case is 1024 x 768. I bought this monitor yesterday and it was only after I installed it that I realised that its native resolution is, as mentioned, 1024x768. I should have researched it a little better. I bought it on ebay and so its case of buyer beware. However, I was just wondering if someone on this group could tell me if its possible to change the native resolution to something like 1280 x 1024.

BKuerbs said it is possible but the result is usually not very good - maybe he too was suggesting that I make the change the way you mentioned.

Thanks for you help, though.

Carlton

Comment

Originally posted by cpatte7372
      ....result is usually not very good - maybe he too was suggesting that I make the change the way you mentioned.

Carlton
      That is exactly what I was thinking of: right-click the desktop -> properties -> settings.

You cannot change the native resolution because it is a physical property, but the driver will try to interpolate anything else.

Just try it.

regards

Bernd Kuerbs

Comment

BKuerbs,

I was tweaking the display settings as you and Alex mentioned all night last night but it simply wouldn't give me anything other than the native resolution.

I think I'm screwed...... Unless you have any other suggestions.

Cheers

Carlton

Comment

How are your monitors configured? Each one as separate monitor, or did you spread your desktop over your two monitors?

In the latter case the resolution shown would be something like 2048x768.

If you have configured them as separate monitors and the dialogue does not offer any other choice than 1024x768 then you have to ask the manufacturer, maybe there is a newer driver version available.

But I'm convinced, you will want to stick with the native resolution: any other will look pretty nasty.

Regards

Bernd Kuerbs
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi BKuerbs,

My desktop is spread over two monitors. As you will see from the graphic the extended monitor is on 3. The problem is that it has to be configured seperately from my laptop. On the laptop I have a number of resolution options.

Oh, I see - if I configure them as one monitor spread over two desktops then I should be able to configure them as 2048x768. I'm going to try that out.

Thanks man.

Carlton
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cpatte7372
              Hi BKuerbs,

My desktop is spread over two monitors. As you will see from the graphic the extended monitor is on 3. The problem is that it has to be configured seperately from my laptop. On the laptop I have a number of resolution options.

Oh, I see - if I configure them as one monitor spread over two desktops then I should be able to configure them as 2048x768. I'm going to try that out.

Thanks man.

Carlton
              This looks right: did you right-click on monitor 3 to do the changes? Did you try it without the option to extend the desktop to monitor 3?

You should do some search for "operating two monitors with different resoltions".

Mine happen to have the same resolution.

Have a nice day

Bernd Kuerbs

Comment

Bernd

Thanks for helping me out with this issue. I think I have no choice but to accept the native resolutions - I have tried everything.

Again, thanks for your help.

Cheers

Carlton

Comment

Flatscreen Monitors reviewed

I was looking through Tom's Harware website tonight and noted they had a review of various flatscreen monitors.

For those in the market or otherwise interested here is the link http://graphics.tomshardware.com/dis...609/index.html dated June 9, 2004.

edit - I looked up the PNY nVIDIA Quadro FX3000 Video Card used for the test because it had dual DVI, it is very new and runs about $1300 , currently out of stock at new egg
                  Last edited by ; 06-13-2004, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the info..

Cheers mate.

Carlton

Comment

Working...
                    X