choking on too many symbols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choking on too many symbols

The previous post about eSignal locking up when getting data on 300 symbols scares me. I am writing a desktop app that must get real-time ticks for an ***unlimited*** number of symbols. I am currently using another data provider, but ran into a data redistribution licensing snag. The folks at eSignal are helping me with this problem. But if eSignal hangs on only a few hundred symbols, then that's not going to work too great for me.

Here is what I was planning on doing... setup multiple machines with individual eSignal accounts all working asynchronously to gather separate lists of symbols. I'd need enough machines/accounts to get realtime tick data for literally ALL possible symbols on US exchanges.

But, if I cannot get 1000 symbols working smoothly on each box without it freezing up, then that means I'll need even more machines, and possibly additional accounts.

Here's my question relating all this.... is it possible to have two separate machines, each with eSignal and my tick-listener app installed, but logged into the same eSignal account? As an example, let's say one is receiving ticks on the first 150 (alphabetically) listed symbols on Nasdaq and the other is handling the first 150 on NYSE. Will eSignal let you log on ***to the same account*** from two separate machines simultaneously and get ticks for separate sets of symbols on each?

If it is possible, then I'd still have to get more machines, but not more accounts. Still ridiculously expensive, but not as bad I guess.

Thanks.

- Philip

Re: choking on too many symbols

Originally posted by juun
    Here's my question relating all this.... is it possible to have two separate machines, each with eSignal and my tick-listener app installed, but logged into the same eSignal account?
    Nope. That will not work.

It almost sounds to me like you should be using the commercial API. It would stand a much better chance of handling the load you are asking for. You could shoot Robi (aka. eSignal Robi) a message for more info on that API.

Cheers... George

Comment

I thought that's what this is. I thought eSignal has 3 APIs: Standard, Control, and Desktop.

And I thought this forum was for any one of those three.

Is that not the case?

Comment

This forum is for the Desktop API (per the title of the forum ). Since the other two are dealt with under non-disclosure agreements (IIRC), there wouldn't be much to discuss on a public board like this.

Cheers... George

Comment

how does one get ahold of esignal robbi?

Comment

Click here, eSignal Robi, and send him email or a PM (Private Message). I know he is really busy this week, but I'm sure he'll try and respond when he gets the chance.

Comment

Working...
            X