Automation Error in VB using ActiveX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automation Error in VB using ActiveX

Could someone from support please explain why during the first hour of trading, using a VB application to get quotes from eSignal, an 'Automated Error' occurs when the application uses the .GetBasicQuote to get data.

This does not seem to happen from the second hour of trading till close.

I have also tried a 3rd party application that links with eSignal to get live data, and this application also seems to crash when it tries to get the data, especially in the first hour.

Possibly the cause of the first problem is also the one causing the second.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled eSignal, but the problem persists. I really need your help here. Thanks

Are you calling GetBasicQuote after calling ReguestSymbol and in the OnQuoteChanged event?

Cheers... George

Comment

Thanks George

I am using the RequestSymbol first, that is not a problem. However I am not using the OnQuoteChanged event, I am just getting the last price of the basic quote from my function...example:

a = eSignal.GetBasicQuote(symbol)
      b = a.dLast

This in realty works fine, but sometimes, as I said, especially in the 1st hour of trading, I get crashes both in eSignal and in my application. Even the other 3rd party software is behaving like this.

Now, I don't know in which part the 3rd party software is crashing, but I am sure it has something to do with retrieveing quotes from eSignal. In fact this software only crashes when it is getting data from eSignal.

What do you think could be the cause of this?

Thanks again

Comment

First of all, what is the build number of eSignal that you are using?

Secondly, what is the 3rd party application?

Third, the OnQuoteChanged event is the response to the RequestSymbol() request, so .GetBasicQuote should be in that event. The first hour of trading is very active, so I think you are not handling all of the responses, which probably the root of your problem. Please reference page 3-3 of the Developer Reference for more details.

Comment

1. I am using eSignal 7.8 latest version downloadable from your site

2. 3rd party application is Trading Solutions

3. Even though the .GetBasicQuote can be used in the event handler, it can also be used outside. Once again, this problem does not happen regularly. There are days where it does not happen at all, others, it happens 6-7 times during the 1st hour.

Also, why should eSignal crash. If I am doing something wrong in the application, it should be my application that suffers, not eSignal itself.

I appreciate your help.

Comment

You have it the other way around - GetBasicQuote should be used in the event handler, but happens to work outside of it, although that is not the correct way to do it.

Because the Desktop API is a COM interface into eSignal, that interface could cause problems for eSignal and make it crash.

Trading Solutions uses the DataManager, or Standard API, not the Desktop API.

Comment

So basically you are saying that the fact that I am using the .GetBasicQuote outside the event handler is causing my application and eSignal to crash...right?

Any other causes you know that might be causing this?

Thanks

Comment

Without having the application available to debug, I am saying that it is a possible explanation. It has been a problem for other developers and when they put it in the event handler it made some their problems go away.

Let's take one step at a time and see if this resolves your issues.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Today it crashed for a couple of times especially during busy periods. So you are probably right by saying that this happens during busy times. I will try putting the .GetBasicQuote in the event handler and will let you know how it goes.

How do you explain the same symptoms in the other 3rd party software, Trading Solutions? I am planning to use this in the near future and am worried about this problem.

Comment

I can't explain Trading Solutions problems. They are using a different API and their developers will need to contact our support engineers to get to the bottom of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X