Getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting started

I am trying to hire a programer to write a few custom indicators. However I don't know enough about programming to write a sufficient job description.

I would like to make custom indicators based off of volume, I assume that info. will come from time and sales. It appears that Esignal does not make historicle time and sales data available for EFS. Therefor I must get the API. Now does that mean that I will basically be using Esignal as a data provider only. I now have to create my own bar chart program and everything else from the ground up.

What is a DLL?

Where will I tell them they will be getting the data for time and sales from?? Is there a symbol for that???

John

Hello John,

I am assuming that you are a current eSignal subscriber. Sounds like the eSignal Desktop API will suit your need. Basically, the API comes with the eSignal Desktop Application. You can download it from our site.

However, you need to obtain the AXQ (ActiveX Development Entitlement) in order to use the API. The API allows you to write your own 3rd party application to interface with the eSignal application in order to obtain data.

Regarding a job spec, we recommend that person to be familiar with Visual Basic and Microsoft type programming languages. Knowing how ActiveX and COM object works is a plus.
    (DLL stands for Dynamic Link Library and the eSignal API is an example of it)

For further information regarding the API, please visit this page:

http://www.esignal.com/esignal/features/activex/

We strongly recommend you to talk to your eSignal sales representative to discuss further regarding your needs.

Best Regards,
    Anthony
    eSignal Developer Support

Comment

Do you need tick level volume? Or is 1 min bar volume good enough (or even 30S, etc.)? You might be able to do what you need in EFS. A little more info one exactly what you need might help determine if you need the API or not.

If you can't use EFS and must use the API, then you are outside the domain of the builtin charting windows and will generally need to code up your own.

A DLL is a dynamic link library. It is just a collection of code that another application can load at runtime and call functions inside that DLL.

With the API, you retrieve data via an ActiveX control which is part of the eSignal application.

Cheers... George

Comment

Is it possible to call a COM DLL from EFS and thereby return processed data to EFS for plotting? Or does EFS not use COM DLLs?
        edx

Comment

Hello edberry,

Yes, this can be done. Please see our DLL Object for EFS.
          Jason K.
          Project Manager
          eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
          JavaScript for EFS Video Series
          EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
          EFS Glossary
          Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

The DLL object (EFS DLL documentation - http://kb.esignalcentral.com/article...ticle=2230&p=4 mentioned below says:

"DLLs can just be plain C DLLs. ..."

Your other documentation gives instructions for VB as well. Is there any difference that I need to be concerned with if I plan to program these in VB? I'm happy to go with C if it interfaces more easily with eSignal. What do you recommend?

I'm just getting started on a programming project, so I don't want to get in too deep and find out later that I have to switch over to C.

Thanks!
            PHP, MYSQL, VB, JavaScript solutions freelance programmer

Comment

Hello atmanning,

That note is directed towards C/C++ developers. You should not have any problems using a VB dll.
              Jason K.
              Project Manager
              eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
              JavaScript for EFS Video Series
              EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
              EFS Glossary
              Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Working...
              X