Stock ticker limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock ticker limit

I am an individual, with no intent on redistribution. Do it for fun.

I called tech support and they mentioned that you might help me. I have esignal premier, with ActiveX Desktop API part also. I use Visual Basic 6.0 to transport data to Sql server 2000. I use a table on my sql server to hold different stock symbols (#325 records). My problem occurs when I set my code loop to cycle thru the different stocks, half-way thru I get an error message from esignal saying "My stock ticker limit has been reached, at midnight it will be reset (something like that)"; and my program loop is stopped.

Now, I don't use esignal the program much, yet, except to visually see the charts. But I don't care to keep track of the last
    'x' number of stocks I've looked at ; as represented (i assume) in the 'data manager/Data/Symbols' form. Esignal's website says :

"eSignal Premier -- Includes everything in eSignal Basic plus our Advanced Charting package. Unlimited number of symbols, viewing 200 at a time. Add access to any futures exchanges. Add on 500 or 1,000 symbols viewing at a time"

And I'm interest in the "unlimited number of symbols" phrase.

That is my general question: Am I limited to 200 stocks that I can cycle thru in computer language, or does this mean I have to purchase more symbols?

technical portions (I have the developer reference 'word' file):

to pull individual stocks I write the code:

historyHandle = esignal.RequestHistory(UserStock, TimeFrameFromUser, btBARS, LocalBarsWanted, -1, -1)

and directly above that line of code I've tried to clear esignal data history with

esignal.ClearSymbolCache
    esignal.ReleaseAllHistory

and at the end of the loop I

esignal.ReleaseHistory (historyHandle)

And these four step occur each new stock ticker that I want to pull

Thanks for help. It is nothing urgent, but I'm curious. Any advice would be appreciated.

Brandon Wallace

Hi Brandon,

You're limited to 200 symbols at a time. So you can loop through 200 symbols, release those and loop through 200 more. You should wait at least 2 minutes in between requests. Also note that the Desktop API can really only efficiently handle about 50-100 symbols, so you may want to make your requests in smaller chunks.

Thanks,
    Starr
    eSignal Developer Support

Comment

Stock Ticker Continued

Starr,

Thanks for your response. From what you mentioned, that I have a limit of 200 viewing at a time, I think my problem is alittle different. I only request one stock at a time, with the code
      ('XOM for example")

historyHandle = esignal.RequestHistory("XOM", TimeFrameFromUser, btBARS, LocalBarsWanted, -1, -1)

Then I use the following code:

esignal.ClearSymbolCache
      esignal.ReleaseAllHistory

(to try and release the history like you mentioned). But even with the two lines above in my code, it is still giving me the message that I've 'exceeded my stock limit'.

Is there some line of code that you might suggest I write, that would clear viewing history. I just care about looking at one stock at a time. Thanks.

Comment

Looks like you are already doing what you should be to release the symbols you are viewing. Is it possible you have an options chain lurking in the background, or multiple sessions of eSignal? Sometimes a "phantom" session will occur which keeps symbols active. Look in your Processes for multiple instances of winsig.exe.

Thanks,
        Starr
        eSignal Developer Support

Comment

Working...
        X