API features for debugging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• API features for debugging

I ama writing efs script daily and using the Text Editor and Formula Output window debug features, as well as inserting lots of my own debug traps in the script. I need a more powerful text editor that can catch run time errors, presently missed. I feel I am posting too many rather simple programming problems to these forums. After browsing the pages here about API I am wondering if it contains any features than asre more powerful in terms of software development for an EFS programmer already using what is available to a non-API subscriber. Does API have a more powerful run time error debugger? Looking for reasons that would differentiate my present capabilities from what API might offer, considering that I do not have the problem of trying to bring in code from an outside language. Just operating inside EFS. I am a full time trader with a deep programming background who knowxs what it is liketo have a great "toolbench".
    Essentially I am trying to assemble the most powerful "dev bench" or developer's tools equipped computer I can for EFS, and am looking for tools to add. What does your EXCELLENT, TALENTED team of JasonK, Alexis M, yourself and others use that I might consider? I am aware of Apache Tomcat, and its serverside community, but that does not sem to adresse my direct issues. In the old days I would be looking for the "Code Warrior" professional version for EFS, if such exists.
    Right now I am running "out o the box" eSignal EFS, and posting almost daily to the forums. Delighted with the service to date, but do not want to become a burden on your team, since I have a history of being a prolific software developer, if there are means available for me to take more the script development and debugging processes load on my end. Does API do that? Something else?

Look forward to your response,
    THX,
    Tilmon

Hello Tilmon,

A more advanced debugging option for EFS would be helpful, but unfortunately one does not exist at this time. It has been suggested before, but please feel free to submit your request to our development team at [email protected].

The Desktop API is an application programming interface that can be added to an existing development environment, such as Visual Basic, that can be used to access eSignal data for custom software. The API itself does not offer a debugging feature for EFS. Any debugging in the application environment for the API is performed by the development tool that is used. EFS is a collection of eSignal specific extensions of the JavaScript 1.5 language. The engine for EFS is unique to the eSignal application. Therefore, other existing debugging programs will not be able to debug EFS code.
    Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

debugger

Jason,
      Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I did send an eloquent request to IDEAS@eSignal, pluggingfor a new first class debugger.
      Appreciate your response. it does not look like API fits my immediate needs.
      No reply necessary.

thx,
      Tilmon

Comment

Tilmon
        As I'm sure you'll agree that there is a "quantum-leap" difference between programming in Basic versus programming in Visual Basic, there is a similar "quantum-leap" difference, in my opinion, between programming in Visual Basic, or for that matter, any text-entry programming language, versus programming in LabView from National Instruments.

With LabView, you drag and drop icons representing subroutines onto the page. Then you connect outputs to inputs by drawing lines between them with your mouse.

You can use subroutines from their extensive library, or create your own.

For example, to establish a TCP link between my program and IB's
        TWS workstation takes one icon called "TCP Open Connection" with a port number of 7496 connected to it, then press run. Total time = 1 minute!

Then I send commands with TCP-Writes and read replies with TCP-Reads. The replies can be simple data strings that I store in icons representing variables, or others representing arrays, for example.

Because it error checks as you work, you always know when your program has a bug or when your wiring is incomplete. Also, since it's all "Visual" errors in logic stand-out and are easy to spot.

I recently wrote a mechanical trading program that executes orders with my IB-TWS workstation, and another program that optimizes my settings, using 5 years of market data.

My current project is to use ESignal for the historical data-feed, which is why I'm starting to read this message board for ideas.

Hope it helps, and good luck,

Leno

Comment

Working...
        X