API Limit Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• API Limit Questions

To make my software interface better with the API I need a better understand of how the API limits actually work. I have the eSignal 200 symbol subscription and use NASDAQ stock symbols and CBT mini symbols. Can you please answer the questions below.

1) Is the API limit based on symbols or Handles?

2) How many open handles can we have?

3) If the limit is based on symbols, and I make 5 real-time RequestHistory for 1 symbol using all different time frames such as 1min, 5min etc. Does that count as 1 symbol or 5 symbols against the limit?

4) How many symbols can we activate using RequestTimeSales?

5) How many symbols can we activate using real-time RequestHistory?

6) Do the RequestTimeSales and real-time RequestHistory have different limits or is the limit cumulative?

7) I open my charts in groups like an eSignal layout. If I for-loop through more RequestHistory than the limit before I can release any handles what happens to the limit +1 requests?

Thanks for looking
    Patrick

API lmitations

I have the same question. Did you ever get a reply?

Comment

Hi Scheel,

The Desktop API allows for real-time streaming and Historical data on 50 to 100 symbols simultaneously. These numbers are going to heavily dependent on the systems resource doing to processing.

If you have specific questions we can answer for you please let us know.

AveryH
      eSignal Support

Comment

Avery,
        I have a thousand symbol limit subscription and haven't had any apparent problems with real time streaming of close to that number of symbols. However, I have been following relativiely inactive securities and I am using a dedicated computer with a dual core processor and 4Gig of RAM. So it would appear that the API's effective active symbol limit is a function of subscription, security activity, and computing horsepower.
        Question, how do we know when we are at the limit and might be missing or corrupting data?

Comment

The Desktop API is geared toward providing data on 50 to 100 actively traded symbols. The number could be greater if you have include symbols that are not regularly traded. This number can also vary depending on such symbols as futures, options and times of the month when they expires. A good example of this is Triple Witching Friday; This is an extremely busy day for the market if you trading futures or options.

The Desktop API does not have any type of functionality or feature that would monitor limits or the amount of data being returned.

AveryH
          eSignal Support

Comment

Working...
          X