Active X Connectivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active X Connectivity

Todd, I am looking to develop a small charting application that would pull in end of day futures/commodities data from eSignal.

I have downloaded everything in the ActiveX File sharing area. eSignal is installed and running (although I have not set up an account as yet).

My questions are:

Where is the activeX control? How do I get access to it? Do you place it on a VB form like other controls? The eSignal Active X Guide mentions something about it being part of your account. Can you elaborate on this?

Why does eSignal start up when I run the sample vb app?

Can I develop a stand alone app to access eSignal data or will the user always need eSignal installed as well?

Does the ActiveX control replace the C++ API? Or is this API still supported?

Your input would be much appreciated.

David

Re: Active X Connectivity

Originally posted by Davo

Where is the activeX control? How do I get access to it? Do you place it on a VB form like other controls?
    In your VB project, you will need to include the winsig.tlb. To do this, click on Projects --> References, and then browse for the winsig.tlb file.

The eSignal Active X Guide mentions something about it being part of your account. Can you elaborate on this?
    You will need to subscribe (once its available) to the ActiveX service. Here is some further information on the different options available.

The ActiveX Development Kit (one-time fee) and the ActiveX Development Service (monthly fee) are intended for individual users who wish to development applications for their own personal use. The ActiveX Commercial Distribution service is designed for 3rd party software developers who wish to distribute their application(s) to other eSignal users. Details on the pricing of each component will be available upon release of the product.

Why does eSignal start up when I run the sample vb app?
    Since the data comes from eSignal, the application needs to be running for the data to be delivered. eSignal will automatically start if it is not already running, because of this.

Can I develop a stand alone app to access eSignal data or will the user always need eSignal installed as well?
    eSignal will need to be installed in order to utilize the ActiveX components.

Does the ActiveX control replace the C++ API? Or is this API still supported?
    The API (a.k.a. Turbofeed) is designed for commercial or institutional use only, and will continue to be supported. ActiveX can be used either for personal use or commercial use.
    Regards,
    Jay F.
    Product Manager

Comment

Thanks very much for answering all of those questions.

This really makes me want to take a closer look at the TurboFeed product. Has this been around for a fair while? I get the feeling it may be better tested, a bit more stable perhaps.

What can you tell me about the C++ API? Do you have any info you can send me?

Much appreciated.

David

Comment

Thank you for your interest David. I'll send you a Private Message shortly regarding TurboFeed.
        Regards,
        Jay F.
        Product Manager

Comment

Like, when dude?

Comment

I sent a PM that same day. Unless something went awry, you should be able to find it under "User CP", and then "View All Private Messages. If the PM is missing (it might have failed to send), then most API questions can be answered with these FAQ's.
            Regards,
            Jay F.
            Product Manager

Comment

Working...
            X