ActiveX Fees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was shocked at the cost

I'm an amateur trader trying to create some fairly complicated scans (many symbols, many bars). I tried using efs but a formula is limited to only 5 symbols (I need to look at all symbols in an index), so this wasn't going to work. I posted over on the efs board for direction and was pointed here. I spent the day reading about activeX and visual basic and the like, and decided that these tools certainly would enable me to create the scans I want, and that the tools might not be so complex that I could actualy code the scans. So, I went to the maintenance page to sign up for the activeX capability and was shocked at the pricing. I'm a part-time trader on a budget. I can't bring myself to fork out $300-400 to learn something I may never use again and find out my scan strategies aren't what I hoped them to be.

IMO, this activeX stuff ought to be made available to the individual user just as efs is. Then I would certainly invest the time to learn the language and see if my scan ideas work.

At any rate, I'm going to continue to look for ways to create my scan ideas in software. I'm thinking that some inexpensive program that downloads historical data to my computer might be enough. It would be ugly, but I think I can implement my scans in excel. Anyone have suggestions for an ultra-cheap data downloader?

Happy trading,
    David

Comment

Hi David,

If you're looking for EOD quotes, then I would recommend AmiQuote, available at www.amibroker.com. Amibroker is an inexpensive and very powerful charting product. The RT version is compatible with eSignal. The developer of Amibroker also offers Amiquote, which is a shareware product ($25 to register) that will leverage all of the no-cost EOD out there. If you're looking for RT data, the product will actually work with livecharts, but I'm afraid I've found quote.com to be unreliable as a source of RT quotes. Probably OK for studies and testing, but I wouldn't want to trade using it <g>!

Gordon

Comment

David

Anyone have suggestions for an ultra-cheap data downloader?

You may want to look at Qcollector Pro for eSignal.
        It saves and appends data for any interval in both ascii and metastock formats, is very flexible and easy to use and costs $80.
        You can find more information at the following link.
        http://www.mechtrading.com/qcollector/esignal/index.htm

Alex

Comment

Working...
        X